PDA

View Full Version : Kansas Sparrow Revisited

ChasMcRae
11-04-2009, 12:15 AM
This shows the same sparrow (in poor photo) with distinct stripes on head and fairly long tail.
Any more thoughts ?
Thanks

Julian Hough
11-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Charles,

The bold head pattern, with two dark latral crown stripes framing a crisp central stripe, coupled with the neatly streaked breast band are all characters of Savannah Sparrow - the slightly raised crest feathers is also a typical trait of this species..

Best,

Julian

Ilija Dukovski
11-04-2009, 10:09 AM
How about the bird on the left, did you do anything in PP or is the striking eye-ring real.
With the eye-ring and coarser streaking and more yellowish underparts it looks like a Vesper Sparrow to me.

Ilija Dukovski
11-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Also the bird on left has only a hint of a central dark patch on the breast,
also points to Verper Sparrow.
Julian, what do you think?

ChasMcRae
11-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks Julian,
That info helps ,but do not think I have ever noted the bold head pattern as such before. Also do not remember the breast streaking being as fine as this . Just not as observant as I use to be.
The bird on the left is a Vesper and there lots around but never obtained a great pic.
Chas.

ChasMcRae
11-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Just reviewed some of my Sav Sparrow pics(they had the distinct yellow eye color and vague stickpin I am use to). Looking closely at the head revealed the striped pattern.
Most of my examples still have more coarse streaking than th Kansas birds ,so there must be a LOT of variation.