PDA

View Full Version : Rapa Nui - Easter Island #1

Jay Gould
11-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Hello from one of the Disneylands of the Pacific - the home of one of the wonders of the World - the Moai.

After a lovely lazy blobbing week in Tahiti under blue skies and harsh sun (yummy!) we arrived on Rapa Nui to be greated by wet, overcast, stormy weather - from yummy to yuk! That was yesterday; today overcast, too windy for a tripod, and drizzles - not bad enough to be forced inside.

This image the first of a few to share wih you is of the area called Tongariki. These Moai are 30+' tall (next time I will show you one that is 66' tall) and weigh upwards of 15 - 20 tons; one weighs 86 tons. They were originally erected on this site prior to the 1700s - no one really knows when or how they were moved from the quarry (another image on its way to you), and durng the 1700s they were all knocked down as a reult of tribal wars.

Most recently they were errected using masive cranes through a Japanese/Chilean effort.

Although normally I would not be happy with an unknown tourist invading the scene, I left him in for perspective.

Enjoy - we are!

Gus Cobos
11-03-2009, 10:08 PM
This is impressive Jay,
I like the perspective. Its a good idea of leaving the tourist in the image for size comparison. Thanks for sharing...:cool:

Harshad Barve
11-03-2009, 10:21 PM
tourist in image makes this for me , wonderful site , would love to see in person some day
ops nearly missed to mention , wonderful image and lovely perspective
TFS

Alfred Forns
11-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi Jay

Would have a total Sensory Overload in that place !!! Must be one of the most fascinating places on Earth !!! Read the book Aku Aku by Thor Heyerdahl several times !!! A must read !!! Hope you will post more !!!

ChasMcRae
11-04-2009, 02:54 PM
I also read Aku-Aku in college and often thought about the island.
Great to see an image from there and wonder about the perspective by moving to the left so all sky behind it, although given sky was lousy looking.
This perspective with a sunset/sunrise would be great.
The tourist idea was great since one does lose perspective.

Jay Gould
11-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Chas, all sky was boring since the sky was so blah! Next one uses Jackie for perspective.