PDA

View Full Version : "Don't be Saucy!"

Stephen Stephen
02-13-2008, 08:53 PM
This is one of the first images that I created shortly after I bought my Sigma 105mm F.28 Macro

This bumble bee was feeding on my neighbour's Lilac flowers. I was just trying to capture a head image and only really noticed the tongue sticking out after I uploaded the image. I only created one image as the bee flew off after being startled by the flash.

Rebel XT, Sigma 105mm Macro, Fill flash. Uncropped and handheld

ExposureTime - 1/160 seconds, F- 18, ISO 400, FocalLength - 105 mm

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Insect/BUMBLE2.jpg

Robert O'Toole
02-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Really good job for uncropped and handheld!
Good exposure job in the tough contrasty conditions, super timing and DOF.

2 things that I would think would really help the image would be a vertical flip, and tone down the few hotspots. I would never try to shoot one of these guys in the bright sun, but you did it and results are great other than the hotspots.

Thanks for posting.

Robert

Stephen Stephen
02-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks Robert. I'll try your suggestions when I get home and have access to the original file.

As far as shooting in bright sun it was about 6:00 p.m. and the sun was bright. I was so excited about trying out the new lens I didn't give much thought about what might be optimum conditions for macro images. What I've learned quickly is that DOF can really make or break an image at these magnifications.

Robert O'Toole
02-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Let me know if you want me to take a crack at it, the raw file is the best way but sometimes you can recover info from a jpeg hotspot also.

Robert

Jeroen Stel
02-15-2008, 03:04 AM
Hi Stephen,

I agree with Roberts comments and would like to add that these are very fast and difficult animals to photograph and in my experience it is best to look for a flower wich is quite flat and wait for one to land on that whilst having the flower pre-focussed in order to get a better composition.

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Stephen Stephen
02-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks Robert and Jeroen. Robert here's a re-worked version as per your suggestions. I cleaned up a couple of small dust specks and boosted the saturation a bit (too much?) but I couldn't seem to get rid of the hotspots. It's probably because I'm still a neophyte with Photoshop (Version 6 by the way). I tried to gently use the burn tool but all I got was grayed out areas.

Comparing the repost and the original the re-post looks worse overall but better in the flipped position.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Insect/BUMBLE3.jpg