PDA

View Full Version : Lone Clover

Mike Fuhr
11-03-2009, 07:12 PM
I've been wanting to get some shots of all the clover growing around this local park where I shoot sometimes. I found this lone flower and decided to try a shot with a high ISO to capture as much detail as possible. However, it became way too busy in my opinion. I then went this direction with a wide open aperture -- I like the fact you can still see the clover patch behind the flower, but go back and forth on the overall shot. C and C welcome

Nikon D300
100-300mm F/4
1/200
F/4
ISO 400

Julie Kenward
11-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Mike, did you think to add a little fill flash? I like what you've done here but with a bit of fill flash I think you would have gotten a little more detail in the plant leaves and less harshness in the darker areas. I'm like you - I like it and then I wonder about it and then I like it again. I do think less dark areas and a little bit more detail in the back plants would make this even stronger. Nice ROT's positioning of the clover by the way!

Mike Fuhr
11-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Jules -- after the F16 shot, I wanted to go the opposite direction and get less detail in the leaves. Agree the dark spots might have been reduced with a flash. I'll try it and see. Thanks.

Mike Moats
11-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey Mike, this is what I call a somewhere in between depth of field. Images don't always have to have totally blurred BG's. Sometimes showing the soft focus BG works fine. I think the DOF works fine and the flower is positioned well with good details.

Desmond Chan
11-04-2009, 02:48 AM
This is good ! I really like the background (that's what got me click on the thumbnail :D). I think the follower could look sharper though. Good job !!

Jerry van Dijk
11-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Hey Mike, I like what you have done here for the same reasons you state yourself. I do find the image a bit dark overall. A little lighter and maybe a bit more saturation in the greens, I can see this make a wonderful picture postcard!
Kind regards,

Jerry.

Anita Bower
11-04-2009, 04:49 PM
I like this lone white clover with the green clover leaves as BG. The leaves are blurred enough to keep them in the BG, but sharp enogh for us to see their clover shape. I like the placement of the flower. The black areas don't bother me. Nice job!

Mike Fuhr
11-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks everyone for all the comments. It must be some long past Irish genes in me that draw me to this photo!:)