PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Leaf

Tomislav Kljucaric
11-03-2009, 02:35 PM
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/718/listjg.jpg

I experimented wit my new Fuji S5 and f32 and took this photo 3 days ago. It was very dark in the woods so i used a tripod (for the first time in my life). Image is not as sharp as i wanted, I added sharpnes and contrast in CS, levels, vigneted borders.

Fuji S5, Nikkor 60 mm macro, f/32, 10 sec., manual, ISO 100.

Tomislav Kljucaric
11-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Does anybody know why the colours (on this photo) on my monitor do not match colours on this uploaded image?
When I open this photo in CS the colours are more vivid than here on the forum?

Tomislav Kljucaric
11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/7536/listicnovi.jpg

Fixed the problem thanks to Julie.
Converted to sRGB before saving.

Julie Kenward
11-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Glad to see it worked! I'll comment more when I get home - I want to see it in detail before I say anything about the exposure but the composition looks really nice, Tomislav!

Julie Kenward
11-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Okay, Tomislav, you have a lot of good things going here. First, good textural contrast between the leaf and the wood. Also, good color contrast between the two as well. Very nice placement of the leaf in the ROT's position and I love the bend / curve of the stump on the far right side. Many people might not have seen that curve and chopped the frame right at that point...it is very good that you left that in tact. Also - and this is the most important IMO - you have some very interesting light falling on your subjects...it really adds to the dimensional feel of the photograph.

Three negatives here...First, it does look oversharpened and that's too bad - next time make several images at different apertures - you can always throw the extras away when you get back home and find the one that is the best of the bunch. Also, I know its outdoors but all those tiny white spots are going to look really bad if you were to print this. When I have a dark BG with bright white pinpoint size spots I always clone them out - it really will look terrible in a large print. Also, I still think your leaf looks a little bit flat so I barely enhanced it with a curves adjustment (and I do mean barely). It added just a little bit more pop.

Here's a repost of what it looks like with the pop of curves and the white spots out. I think you could still pop that yellow a bit more but I didn't want to go overboard.

Mike Moats
11-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Hey Tomislav, I think this looks really nice. I like the comp, the lighting and textures look good, and not sure why you don't think it looks sharp, looks fine to me. Jules version helped the leaf to pop some.

Jerry van Dijk
11-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi Tomislav, nothing to add to the comments above! I like that due to the texture of the wood, a lot is going on in this image. Good placement of the leaf in the frame in the ROT position.

Jerry.

Anita Bower
11-04-2009, 05:36 PM
I liked the original, and like Jules' version also. Excellent contrast of textures. The wood you used is gorgeous, and you captured it's texture beautifully. Love that single leaf in yellow against the rich brown. The vignetting works nicely. I agree with Jules about the white spots. You will learn to clone things like that out.

Congratulations on using a tripod! It takes some getting used to, but will allow you to take wonderful images.

A lovely image!