PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly Demise

Roman Kurywczak
02-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Taken in a local NJ park with the Canon Rebel and a 180mm Sigma macro lens and the Canon MT24 twin lights. ISO 200 at f22 and 1/100th of a sec.
This is definitely nature at it's best/worst.
Comments welcome,
Roman

Small Photo Tours
www.roaminwithroman.com (http://www.roaminwithroman.com)

Robert O'Toole
02-13-2008, 08:04 PM
I like the composition and the subjects are interesting. The spider is on an egg sac so I see what you mean about best and worst, life and death.

I prefer balanced flash, in this case the flash is very strong. When I have used a twinlight in the past I always turn off one light, otherwise you get strange looking double shadows and double catchlights.

Robert

Stephen Stephen
02-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Nice composition Roman. It would have been interesting to see another dragonfly of another colour with the spider. It may have added more contrast between predator and prey. Still a nice find.

Jeroen Stel
02-15-2008, 03:08 AM
Hi Roman,

Very interesting shot! I like how it allmost seems as if the dragonfly is begging the spider to let her go....
Would have preferred to get more of a sideview of this but i can understand that is not allways possible.

Thank you for posting!

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Joseph Warfel
02-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Roman,

Nice shot. In case youyr interested the spider belongs to family: Pisuaridae (nursery-web spiders and this one- likely a "fishing" spider ) genus Dolemedes. Pisuaridae carry egg sacs by the fangs. If you see a spider carrying and egg sac "behind" attached to spinnerets it would be a Lycosidae (wolf spider).

Regards,

Joe Warfel