PDA

View Full Version : A special thanks to the mob - Screech-Owl.

Daniel Cadieux
11-02-2009, 09:57 PM
If it wasn't for about 12 chickadees and 4 nuthatches aggressively mobbing this guy (or gal) I never would have had my first ever sighting of an Eastern Screech-Owl. Short of using an axe and/or chainsaw this was my only clear vantage point, and luckily it was with the owl facing me. With my external flash at home(!), I was forced to use the onboard flash...this resulted in rather flat light and quite nasty devilish red-eyes - both concerns which were corrected in PS. I do wish the ear tufts were more visible - but I'm still quite stoked about stumbling upon this individual:)

Canon 40D + 100-400L @400mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/60s., f/6.3, ISO 800, -0.3 EC, on-board flash (0 FEC), handheld, about 80% full-frame.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/tn_EasternScreech-Owl_0493-01.jpg

Harshad Barve
11-02-2009, 10:13 PM
what a set of eyes , I liked such images more as shows habitat nicely
TFS

Brian Barcelos
11-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Dan, Happy for you man, I still haven't seen any owl species outside of a zoo. You did a great job, especially using the pop-up flash. I too would have liked to see the ear tufts but you get what you can with these guys plus those penetrating eyes draw enough attention to even notice the tufts blocked. Congrats

Danny J Brown
11-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Wow - I love this shot. I like the way the green eyes match the vegetation. This photo should be on one of our Missouri Department of Conservation note cards.

Raymond Barlow
11-02-2009, 11:52 PM
nice one Daniel., wondering if you tried available light?

Stu Bowie
11-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Nicely framed amongst the foliage Dan, and I feel the on camera flash has worked just fine. Im sure the catchlights are natural, but every time I look at the eyes, it seems to me he's looking cross eyed. Its just the position of the catchlights that are tricking my eyes.

Kiran Poonacha
11-03-2009, 01:50 AM
Loved this, daniel. nice use of flash, nice details and the habitat around adds well to the frame.. congrats..

Daniel Cadieux
11-03-2009, 09:56 AM
nice one Daniel., wondering if you tried available light?

Thanks Ray. I did a very short try at available light before going for flash, but the sun was coming from behind the owl...the owl was almost silhouetted form my vantage point and the resulting boost in EC created way too many blown highlights on the foliage and "peeking" sky. Flash is pretty much main source of light here...

denise ippolito
11-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Daniel, I think you did a great job creating this image. The details look good and the owl looks to be peering out. Nice framing.

Arthur Morris
11-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Killer good technique both before and after capture. What you needed to do was saw off the perch branch and re-attach it about two inches lower. Then you could have traded the feet for the ear tufts! Brilliant, no?

Graham Smith.
11-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Great shot Dan! I'm super jealous of your find - I've heard, but never seen these guys.
I like the feel of the image, as we peak through the foliage to see him.
Good technique too!

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Hola Daniel

Good thing there were others telling you about this owl around you!
I like the ''natural'' frame and those eyes.

Betsie Storm
11-05-2009, 03:30 AM
Daniel, Great sighting and capture- I do not mind the ear tufts not showing- I like the way he is peering out at you. I am very low on flash experience, so your notes on how the image was made are very welcome. Betsie.