PDA

View Full Version : South Portland Headlight

Grady Weed
11-02-2009, 04:52 PM
From todays outing. I was looking for something different. I walked out to the farthest I could, right to the edge of the rocks. We had some fairly big rollers and turbulent waves. I took some with waves splashing to my left and close to me and some like this one. This is full frame, removed some dust spots, minor shadows and highlights.

Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time: 11/2/2009 12:58:24, Shutter Speed 1/400Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F22, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation: -2/3, ISO 400, Lens: EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length 28.0 mm, Hand held, RAW, White Balance Auto. Full frame for a 12x18 print.

All comments welcomed.

Roman Kurywczak
11-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Hey Grady,
Nice to see you got out to Portland Head again! I love the crashing waves and the line they form leading to the lighthouse. Considering the time of day (1pm) you handled the light pretty well too but you may want to add some blacks in Selective color>whites......or even try a bit more on the highlight slider.......just to bring out the last bit of detail. I know you are partial to full frame images but for me, more of a pano crop eliminating 1/2 the sky above the lighthouse even further strengthens the crashing waves......just some food for thought and another perspective.

Dave Mills
11-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi Grady, Considering the time of day you handled the exposure as well as could be expected having good detail in the waves and the dark foreground. Your comp is solid with a suggestion of taking some off the top as Roman mentioned. I realise that your wanting to keep the image a certain size might effect that decision.

Fabs Forns
11-04-2009, 11:00 PM
POstcaard beautiful, I may get rid of some of the plain sky.

caseyargall
11-06-2009, 01:09 AM
i think you've composed this really nicely, also i feel the crashing waves ad that extra something.
well done.

Robert Amoruso
11-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Grady,

Nice to see you back here posting. Overall I like how this works out. Not that I disagree with the comments on removing some of the blue sky, but I am generally partial to having a nice blue sky like this in seashore/lake images.