PDA

View Full Version : zebra fighting

peter delaney
11-02-2009, 11:32 AM
D3 200-400 lens ... 1/600 @ f4 iso 1000 , wimberly,manfrotto monopod, windy conditions

I have always wanted to capture an image of zebras fighting .On a recent trip to Madikwe I got my chance. The windy conditions made the zebra very nervous as it more difficult to hear and see predators. These two zebra took there frustrations out on each other..

Alfred Forns
11-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Glad you had the chance Peter, love the action ... great expression on both and can see some power

Like the tech settings and taking advantage of the D3 !!!! .. not sure if you could have had to zoom out for a little more room, a bit on the right would have been nice !!! Excellent image !!!

Stu Bowie
11-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Hi Peter, both zebbies well exposed and sharp, and love the interaction between the two. Well captured.

Marc Mol
11-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Great interaction & comp with the bared teeth , well done Peter.

Harshad Barve
11-02-2009, 08:51 PM
nice ineteraction and well composed , VWD here
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
11-02-2009, 11:39 PM
great action shot, exposure and detail in this Peter - also a shot I still need...

Sabyasachi Patra
11-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Peter,
I like this scene. The action is good and the image is sharp. Good to have clean high ISO abilities in your camera. I would leave a little bit more space at the right so that the tree trunk is fully included in the frame. How much crop is this image of the original? Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ken Watkins
11-03-2009, 10:33 AM
great action shot, exposure and detail in this Peter - also a shot I still need...

Probably a shot we all need! Normally when they are playful, you end up with a mess of heads, none of which point in the right direction.

Nice capture.

Don Hamilton Jr.
11-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Peter, beautiful action shot.
If i may ask from a "newbie" full of questions. I was wondering how you get both in focus at such a shallow depth of field f4? I guess they are both so close, that it works, I was thinking your AF point would yield the perfect focus at that point, and the other would be less than tack sharp.
However you picture is tack sharp from these old eyes! I took some pictures this weekend of great herons, both the male and female, at f5.6 were seldom "both" tack sharp.
Thks for any advice.
Don

David Fletcher
11-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Yup. Definitely a shot we all need. Like this Peter. Done really well here. Great sharpness on both as is the bared teeth. Like comp as is.

Hilary Hann
11-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Fantastic action shot, well seen and taken. As Ken says, a shot all aspiring wildlife photographers need. Tree in BG doesn't worry me.

peter delaney
11-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks to all for comments......Alfred and Sabyasachi I think i might have a little more room on right , I think the tree was double stem so tried to lessen impact by just including one...

Don , the reason behind shooting wide open was to limit the distracting BKG and sometimes FG... both subjects are sharp because they are the same plane of focus...

Thanks again ... will be posting a previous frame .....but in B&W... very soon ...