PDA

View Full Version : A Great Sunday Am With the forns!

Don Hamilton Jr.
11-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Good morning Gang, i finally received my 500mm and decided to head out to the Wak Wetlands. Lo and behold as i turned the corner on the Boardwalk, i encountered a familiar forum couple, shooting their cameras away. After watching, and observing, and trying to figure how to even get started. I believe i was in total Awe; as i watched great Blue, building a nest. Fortunately Fabs, and Al offered to help. What a wealth of information, and an awesome couple!!!
The short three hours was indeed a terrific time, and i learned alot. Also met another gentleman i believe his name was "Sid". Wow, what awesome pictures he showed us from his gallery!
Man, i'm jazzed, and look forward to workshops and taking some good shots. Yes, as you guessed, my Delete button was working overtime to my dissappoint as i arrived back home. Hopefully someday i'll acheive what some of the mentors of this list are doing!
Bottom line, Al, Fabs, and Sid, great folks, and i sincerely appreciate your teachings!
Regards:
Don

Alfred Forns
11-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Hi Don It was all our treat !!!

The birds were cooperating and seems we will have a good season, looking forward !! Don't worry about the delete rate for photographing nests, its tough!!!

Don Hamilton Jr.
11-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Good Morning: I Think i need to see a doctor, as i now have a bad case of the "Birds";as alreadyI'm thinking in my head what to do for the next visit. Question: i forgot to ask you, i seem to remember reading, i should use av( with EV neg, or postive comp) for the early am, as the light is changing by the minute, and once the early sun is up; useManual. Is this correct.Of course always checking the histograms. Yesterday i blew a couple osprey shots, as i had the camera set to the lower horizon light, and then after you left an osprey proceeded to dive bomb three times in front of me, of course i had not reset my manual settings for the brighter light... so again i screwed up!!!I need to comeup with a cheat card as a reminder... Looks like the herons, and the white birds, need a 1 plus negtive EV, and the darker birds, maybe a 0 to plus some... am i on the right track. I read art's book, and i'm trying to comeup with a mental image reminder!Don

Alfred Forns
11-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Hi Don

Hit Arties Book :) One use of manual is for changing bg if the bird is not in changing light. Early morning before the sun is up you normally need to ad light but all depends what are you metering on ... It all depends on the meter and need to know how it behaves.

Every time you blow one check the compensation used and histogram ... will start to see a pattern :)

Sid Garige
11-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi Don,

Thanks for the kind words.

Your post reminds me of my first meeting with Al and Fabs. I met Al and Fabs for the first time at Vierra wetlands 4 years back. I felt exactly the same.

They are the best. You can always count on their friendly smile and helping hand.

Fabs Forns
11-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks so much, guys! :)