PDA

View Full Version : Nature's Spear?

Ramesh Adkoli
11-02-2009, 03:02 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2482/4067209501_fed50429e1_o.jpg

Found this wild thingy at Savanadurga, about 75KM from Bangalore. I am not sure whether this is a flower or a fruit. With its symmetric leaves, it makes one imagine things: a spear or a wind mill?

Appreciate your views or comments.

D700, 105mm Macro, 1/30s, F/9, (couldn't stop down further due to wind), tripod mounted
Levels, curves, brigthness/contrast, selective colors, full frame

regards,
ramesh

Harshad Barve
11-02-2009, 03:48 AM
I think this is a bud , I have a image of same wild flower , will dig it out
expo , sharpness and details are spot on , tight compo works very well for me and killer BG
VWD
TFS

ps, BTW just ugraded from D300 to D700 , D700 is rocking camera for sure

Ramesh Adkoli
11-02-2009, 10:02 AM
You might be right, Harshad. Thanks for the hint and views.

BTW, congratulations on your D700!

regards,
ramesh

Katherine Enns
11-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi there. This is in the mint family, and its the sepals left of the flower after the petals have fallen. Technically is now a fruiting structure. A quick tip for this family is look to see if the stem is square in cross section, it just flips over if you twist it by the stem. Not all mints have a minty aroma, btw.

As for the photo, I like it!

kat

Dave Leroy
11-02-2009, 04:33 PM
An interesting looking plant and I like the symmetry. Bg works really well with it also. Dave

Julie Kenward
11-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Ramesh, you got some really nice details from a simple, yet interesting plant. Two suggestions: 1) even out the top 1/3 of the BG so it's not significantly darker than the bottom 2/3 of the BG and 2) give it just a little more room on the right so the area between the leaf and the border are the same distance on both sides.

Ramesh Adkoli
11-03-2009, 03:07 AM
Hi Kat, thanks for inputs on this plant. Will sure check it out when i visit this location next.

Thanks Dave and Julie for your views. Julie, I took care of your first suggestion. For the second, i have to add canvas and i haven't perfected that yet. Will continue to try;-(

regards,
ramesh

Katherine Enns
11-03-2009, 06:02 PM
No worries, I am very interested in seeing plants from other places than North American flora, which I know reasonably well. If you ever want to know what something might be, dont hesitate to send me an email. I can sometimes tell at least what family its in, usually.