PDA

View Full Version : Sketch the sky!

Ramesh Adkoli
11-01-2009, 10:35 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2591/4051747635_c452ed2ca0_o.jpg

This branch of a tree seems to have been sketched on the early morning sky. Another image from the Western Ghats. Appreciate your views and comments.

D700, 24-70mm @38mm, 1/60s, f/13, ISO200, hand held
Curves, levels, cropped a bit from left, cloned the top of a tree at bottom

regards,
ramesh

Rob Miner
11-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Ramesh,

I like what you tried to do in the photograph. In previous critiques, it has been said, never place the sun/moon in center of of your photograph. Also, it is said, rules are to be broken. I see that you tried to balance the mountain line with taller mountains at both ends of photograph. Was it possible to move to you right (at the time of taking the photograph) to remove the larger branch on the left from the photo and still keep balance the it appears you strived for. Please submit more of your efforts in the future.

Rob.............

Dave Mills
11-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi Ramesh, I like the feel of the image along with the layered mountains. The positioning of the sun doesn't bother me and I like the silouettes of the trees and the branch. To give you another idea on the images presentation I cropped a bit off the top,left and right. I did so in order to tighten up the composition and get rid of the small vertical branch which I quickly cloned out. Creative presentation!

Dave Blinder
11-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Really nice idea Ramesh, and I like the exposure and comp. I prefer that branch be cloned out as well.

Grady Weed
11-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Rather than cloning out the downward branch, I might crop it out and change the comp somewhat. Still as is, a very nice image. It would look nice printed and framed. Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
11-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi Ramesh,
While I may prefer the clone out.....crop works too!....and so does the OP!!!
Very simple comp with beautiful colors and layer. Very well executed all around.

Ramesh Adkoli
11-04-2009, 04:18 AM
In previous critiques, it has been said, never place the sun/moon in center of of your photograph. Also, it is said, rules are to be broken. I see that you tried to balance the mountain line with taller mountains at both ends of photograph. Was it possible to move to you right (at the time of taking the photograph) to remove the larger branch on the left from the photo and still keep balance the it appears you strived for.Thanks, Rob for your views. My effort here was to give prominence to the branch, keep it above the horizon, include enough of far tree line and hills to give it a base and place the sun in such a way that it does not garner all the attention. In fact, i considered placing the sun to the right, embedded in the branch and it did not appeal to me and hence this choice. If the image is pleasing, i do not check to see whether it lies within the norms of compositional rules. I just stick to it. As for the larger branch on left, i did not consider removing it.

regards,
ramesh

Ramesh Adkoli
11-04-2009, 04:25 AM
Thanks, Dave Mills, Dave Bilnder, Grady and Roman for your views. I appreciate your feedback. Dave, your re-post works for me too. Thanks for taking time to show it to me. However, i would retain the branch on the left. IMHO, little imperfections add to the appeal of the image;-)

Roman, thanks for the complements. Means a lot to me.

regards,
ramesh

Robert Amoruso
11-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Ramesh,

Overall, this image worked out very well. The only thing I might have suggested would be to have moved to get the sun more left in the image. Not because it is in the center but because I feel it is a bit too close to the branch and more left would have balance the image better with the branch.

I do feel this image works well due to the framing affect of the branch and the atmospheric affect of mountains creating a good layering affect thereby creating depth in the image.

Ramesh Adkoli
11-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks, Robert for your views. I feel your suggestion of keeping the sun on left is worth trying. Agree, it could add to the balance of the image. Thanks again.

regards,
ramesh