PDA

View Full Version : Maple Leaf

Christopher Miller
11-01-2009, 10:19 PM
I know you all are probably going to shoot me because of my choice of BG here :D but what to know what you think all the same.

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f4.3 @ 1/30, ISO 100, -0.3 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, auto WB
Processed in PS CS2; slight crop, curves adjustment, darkened the lower half a tiny bit to even out the lighting, and added a vignette

Harshad Barve
11-02-2009, 03:45 AM
details on leaf looks good here , nice control of expo and compo
I am not fan of such BG
TFS

Dave Leroy
11-02-2009, 04:30 PM
BG does seem a bit harsh to me. I like the idea of isolating the leaf, but the asphalt seems out of place. Weathered red brick or perhaps an old worn plank, in my opinion, might work and bring out the red in the leaf a bit more. Also for some reason, my eye is drawn to the bottom and wishes the very tip of stem was not in vignetting. I like the idea just not the bg. Dave

Julie Kenward
11-02-2009, 07:28 PM
I hate to say I don't like it when I myself did it but I don't like it this time. Why? Because it is so light in color. I'd darken the asphalt and then pop the saturation in the yellows and reds so they bounce off that black pavement and then I think it would be better. As is, the contrast looks really washed out in both the leaf and the asphalt.

Also, comp-wise, I'd really prefer to see that leaf caddy corner in the placement with the stem going towards a corner. It's too "I looked down and photographed a leaf" as it is. Your acorn photos are so balanced and well-positioned that this seems a bit flat compared to them.

Christopher Miller
11-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks everyone for your honest opinions. Guess it's back to the drawing board for this one.