PDA

View Full Version : Lox Sunset II

Harold Davis
11-01-2009, 04:57 PM
another version of the same scene i posted the other day. i dont think this is what you guys were talking about when you said sun behind the grasses, BUT.....

D300, 18-200 at 50mm, f/32, 1/2500s, -2.0EV, ISO 800.

thanks for looking. comments and critiques much appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
11-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Hey Harold,
OK....you listened!....nice job of converting to B&W too! A bit more base....even silhoette would help....and as you were at 50mm....the rest of the cloud would be nice too....but I will offer you one more thing.....compose the way you first felt....horizontally....and then go vert!......having the taller stalks...which are more interesting....and the sun with the cloud.....probalby the same 50mm...but vert!.....making a stronger comp! Aaaaah....you know the pain in the a** landscape mod......let's see what the others think!

Harold Davis
11-01-2009, 05:13 PM
you, funny guy....(in your best chinese accent) :D

Dave Mills
11-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Hi Harold, I too wonder if a vertical comp would be stronger in this case. I like the fact you selected this simple comp with a strong silouette. I would have preferred the sun not breaking the reed.

Ramesh Adkoli
11-01-2009, 10:41 PM
I love this image, Harold. It has a classic appeal. Great detail, specifically liked the rim lighting of the grass. Excellent B&W rendition. Appreciate if you could share your conversion process. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Lance Warley
11-03-2009, 09:48 AM
A beauty, Harold.

Are you aware of the Lox Photo Contest? I hope you enter this and some of your other Lox shots. http://www.evergladesphotosociety.org/loxcontest/

Roman, I hope you don't mind me mentioning the contest here, especially since the proceeds go to the nonprofit Friends Of Arthur R Marshall Loxahatchee NWR. I dont think you'll mind.

Harold Davis
11-03-2009, 07:38 PM
sorry it took so long to get back, ramesh. i think i basically just super saturated the blues and added some blacks to the original. then simply took it into nik silver efex pro and used the high structure setting, which is use the most, and maybe even a red filter. hope this helps.

thanks lance. did not know about the contest, i will check it out.

Ramesh Adkoli
11-04-2009, 03:46 AM
Thanks, Harold for a detailed response. Appreciate that.

regards,
ramesh

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Lovely composition Harold and I love the lighting and low angle of this capture. Congratulations !!!

Robert Amoruso
11-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Roman beat me too it Harold, first thing I thought was vertical.