PDA

View Full Version : Downy Woodpecker

Duane Noblick
11-01-2009, 03:24 PM
http://www.pbase.com/duane_va/image/118942941/original.jpg

<TABLE border=1 cellPadding=1 width=450 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Date/Time</TD><TD class=lid>30-Oct-2009 03:11:59</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Make</TD><TD class=lid>Canon</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Model</TD><TD class=lid>Canon EOS 50D</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Flash Used</TD><TD class=lid>No</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Focal Length</TD><TD class=lid>500 mm</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Exposure Time</TD><TD class=lid>1/500 sec</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Aperture</TD><TD class=lid>f/7.1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>ISO Equivalent</TD><TD class=lid>200</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Exposure Bias</TD><TD class=lid></TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>White Balance</TD><TD class=lid></TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Metering Mode</TD><TD class=lid>multi spot (3)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>JPEG Quality</TD><TD class=lid></TD></TR><TR><TD class=lid noWrap>Exposure Program</TD><TD class=lid>aperture priority (3)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Arthur Morris
11-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Sharp. Absolutely killer beautiful BKGR. Great view of both feet and the bracing tail. Sharp. Would love to see the bird in the same position with a more traditional head angle.

Was the bird coming to a feeder?

Axel Hildebrandt
11-01-2009, 03:47 PM
I like the angle, sharpness and especially the fall-color BG. I hope you will get another chance to photograph the bird there with a slightly better head angle. If it were mine, I would clean the beak.

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-01-2009, 04:39 PM
To me the trunk over powers the bird. I would crop some on left just to loose the trunk. Back ground is killer. Bird pop ups really well. Head angle has been mentioned.

Duane Noblick
11-01-2009, 04:48 PM
This is a feeder shot. I spent some time with this one (female), another female and a male. I have several images with varying head turns.

http://www.pbase.com/duane_va/image/118906987/original.jpg

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Your repost is even better!

I crop a little on left and sharpened very slightly. BG needs NR still.
Hope you don't mind.

Duane Noblick
11-01-2009, 05:13 PM
I agree about it needing more sharpening around the head. As far as the crop...I feel the Woodpecker is stuffed into that side of the frame so I did a center crop. I guess it's a matter of taste.

As far as the BG noise...I don't worry too much about it on web images. The print of the last one I posted shows no noise. :)

Thank you for the re-work and I don't mind one bit.

Harshad Barve
11-01-2009, 08:51 PM
lovely image with killer BG , repost by you looks good to me
TFS

Sid Garige
11-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Fantastic background and wonderful subject. I like the second image much better than original post.

Arthur Morris
11-02-2009, 09:01 AM
I like the second one better and JC's repost even better. My only disappointment: the merge of the bill tip with the trunk... Do you have one that avoid's that?
Tip for all: when everything is perfect, blasting aways (though something I rarely, rarely do) is often best as you will get a variety of head angles and positions including some that you might not be able to anticipate... (I am still working on doing that!)

Danny Laredo
11-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Duane, the second image you posted is much better, IMO.
As the HA is better thus the eye contact is by far better and improves the image.
the BG is stunning.

Duane Noblick
11-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Fortunately this Downy Woodpecker was very cooperative and it allowed me several (well, more then several) images of it. Taking into consideration all the above advice this is another image from the series with this Woody.

http://www.pbase.com/duane_va/image/118994177/original.jpg

Thank you again for your advice.

Duane

PS...Pbase is having issues again so the image may not show.