PDA

View Full Version : Black-chinned Hummingbird?

Bruce Enns
11-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi all, We regularly get two species of hummingbirds in our yard every year...Calliope and Rufous, but we are also within the northern 'boundary' of the range of the Black-chinned Hummingbird. I think I have learned to tell the female Rufous and Calliope females apart, even at the juvenile, sub-adult and adult stages. This one does not really fit with either of the other two species, so I am curious to know if it is a female Black-chinned?

My ID is based largely on wingtip shape, lack of throat decoration, greyish green head, and lack of buffy colour around 'shoulder' .

Any help or hints would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
Bruce

Paul Lagasi
11-01-2009, 05:32 PM
In one of my books Smithsonian FG to Birds by C. Collins, the photo is almost 95% similar to yours...Female Black-Chinned and Ruby-Throated are very similar but maps show Black-Chinned more likely in your area.
So I vote for Female Black-Chinned

Gail Spitler
11-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi Bruce - I would also vote that this is a lovely image of a Black-chinned female. The numbers in the west kootenays this year were really up.
Cheers
Gail

Bruce Enns
11-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Thanks very much Paul and Gail! Gail did you see any males around this year? I get lots of Calliope and Rufous males but haven't seen any male Black-chinned.

Cheers!
Bruce

icephotojim
11-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi Bruce -- I'm not sure that this is a female Black-chinned. Those are the predominant hummingbird in my normal neck of the woods (west Texas) and there is something about the young lady that does not look right. It is a beautiful image.

Warm regards -j

Bruce Enns
11-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks icephotojim!

Cheers!
Bruce

Gus Hallgren
11-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Hi Bruce:

I live in Hummingbird country - Madera Canyon, AZ, and I would say that your hummer is a Female Black Chinned.

Keep smiling

Uncle Gus

Bruce Enns
11-14-2009, 12:25 AM
Thanks Gus, I can't think of what else it might be...the only other hummer that might show up is an Anna's, but the habitat is just not right for one.

Still smiling!
Bruce