PDA

View Full Version : Canon 30D error 99

Dave Brown
11-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi All,

I've had my 30D for just about three years and it has worked flawlessly until today when I started to receive an error 99 message. I have tried some of the common fixes already. It does not seem to be a lens attachment or CF card issue since I get the error when I depress the shutter even without a lens attached or a CF card in the camera.Could it be a battery issue? I tried turning the camera off ,removing the batteries and tried it with a fully charged battery and got the same thing.

This is pretty distressing since it was my only body and I use it daily.Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone had ot pay to have this issue resolved,if so how much was it and how long did it take? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Brown

Nick Palmieri
11-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Err 99 is a general circuitry error and can mean anything. I had the same problem with my 40D and although it went away for a while it returned. I had to bring it to canon which luckily is close to my house and it has been fixed. In my case it got too moist at the place I was shooting and something shorted out. If you think it got wet canon recommended to me to leave the battery door and CF card door open with the nothing in them for 72 hours and leaving the camera in a clean/dry place. You should also clean all the contacts on the camera and all lens. Then see what happens. if it still doesn't work send it to Canon they will fix it. They fixed mine for $182USD, it took a week but I dropped it off and picked it up. Good luck, a strong case for a second body!

Bruce Enns
11-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Hey Dave, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a moisture issue...Nick provides good advice above, and I would recommend some desiccant packs as well...see Artie's bulletin #297 where he talks about Panama and the humidity.

http://www.birdsasart.com/bn297.htm

Good luck!
Bruce

Dave Brown
11-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi Guys,

I have taken some photos in wet conditions over the last month,but not for a few of days. Not in the two days preceding todays error. Should I put the camera in a sealed box with dessicant packs or something to help draw possible moisture? or just have the packs near the camera or in the battery dorr etc?

Dave

Bruce Enns
11-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi Dave, This is what I would try:

Put the camera without battery, lens or card ...doors open, body cap off, into a large, clean zip-top plastic bag with some good fresh desiccant and close it up...put in a warm place and leave it for a couple/three days.
I would avoid putting any desiccant packs inside the camera itself.

I have dried out other electronics with varying degrees of success by warming them up (not too hot!) under a desk lamp with any doors open and batteries out.

Your results may vary...especially if it isn't actually a moisture problem.

Having a problem like this is usually quite distressing, and I find that after deciding on a particular course of action, having the patience to leave it alone long enough without testing if it's 'fixed' is the hardest part!

A phone call to Canon service for their suggestions probably wouldn't hurt.

Cheers!
Bruce

Brian Ivener
11-01-2009, 03:19 PM
I got a camera a bit wet once and put into my food dehydrator on low overnight. Worked like a charm.

Dave Brown
11-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks guys for all of your advice. Hopefully things works out. I've been wanting to upgrade for somw time now,it just isn't conviemient right now.

Thanks again,

Dave Brown

Jeff Donald
11-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Just an FYI, Canon has a Loyalty Program for Rebel owners and xxD series body owners. They will probably offer it to you if you send it in for service, but just in case they don't here are the details:

http://douglassonders.wordpress.com/2009/09/22/canon-loyalty-program-return-your-old-broken-qualifying-camera-get-a-discounted-replacement/

If you have a broken and out of warranty camera, they will replace it as outlined in the above link. In your case you send them your broken 30D and you'll receive a 50D for $629 plus $10 shipping and taxes, if applicable. To the best of my knowledge it is for US residents only, but if you know someone in the states and use their shipping address it may work out for you.

Other Canon cameras are eligible as well and the list is worth checking out if you have an old, broken Canon camera laying around.

Dave Brown
11-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi,

It seems now that the camera will work,but only if I take single shots.If I fire off a burst of three or more then I get the err 99. Then I take out the battery etc,let the camera sit and again I can take only sing shots. Maybe this means there is a problem with the shutter??

Dave Brown

Jeff Donald
11-03-2009, 06:06 PM
It does indeed sound like a shutter problem. You can call the Canon service center and they'll give you an estimate on the repair.