PDA

View Full Version : Starry Night at Balanced Rock

Roman Kurywczak
02-13-2008, 05:29 PM
This is one of a number of night shots to a recent trip to Arches NP. Taken with the Canon Mark lll and a Canon 17-40mm lens. Tripod mounted for 30 seconds at ISO 6400 at f4.5 with high ISO noise custom function ON. Painted with flashlight. Painting time not recorded.
As always, comments welcomed.
Roman

Small group photographic tours
www.roaminwithroman.com (http://www.roaminwithroman.com)

D. Robert Franz
02-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Outstanding capture... I might have liked a bit more FG below the outcrop but I'm sure compositon is challenging at night.

Roman Kurywczak
02-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Hey D. Robert,
The actual problem was with the painting/brightness of the snow as I was really close to the subject.

Michael Pancier
02-13-2008, 08:00 PM
that is so amazing!!!!! thank God for the black skies and no light pollution.

Bob Ettinger
02-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Really nice. As previously pointed out a little more FG would have been nice, in a perfect world

Ed Cordes
02-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Well, I like it as it is. If you had more FG the snow would have been distracting. The stars are nicely pin-pointed. thanks for sharing.

Robert Amoruso
02-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Outstanding image and creatively. This is NOT easy to do and make look good. I agree with the FG comments.

Travis Novitsky
02-14-2008, 06:27 PM
I like the composition just fine as it is. And, talk about nice performance at ISO 6400! While this is cool as it is, I would also like to see a version with some different settings.....say ISO 800 with an exposure length of around 5 minutes....enough to make the stars streak just a little bit. Most of the time we see star trail photos that are looooong exposures intended to make long streaks of the stars....but I've seen some with shorter streaks that I've absolutely loved....and I think this composition may be a good candidate for such an image. At any rate, nice work!

Rich Ikerd
02-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Exceptional image Roman. Super sharp and clear. No problems with the composition from me, especially given the snow on the ground. Guess I'm going to have to drag my lazy butt out at night next time I visit that area. I'd really like to try this type of photography.