PDA

View Full Version : South West Texas (Brownsville area)

Raul Quinones
10-31-2009, 09:35 PM
I have the opportunity to visit this area about two weeks ago, I visited "La Resaca de la Palma State Park" and "La Laguna Atascosa NWR", both were good, the "Laguna" was excellent.

I'll be back in two weeks and will have one weekend for birding, I don't mind driving couple hours (up to 4 hrs for a great place), Can I do better than the "Laguna Atascosa"?

I will appreciate any help.

Raul

Dave Hassell
11-01-2009, 11:12 AM
You will be spoiled for choice. Close by is Santa Ana NWR, World Birding Centre at Edinburg Scenic Wetlands, Bentsen State Park, South Padre Island and many others. They, and many others, are listed in the American Birding Association 'A Birder's Guide to the Rio Grande Valley.

Dave.

Jeff Parker
11-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Hey Raul! I'm the guy that was in the blind at Atascosa. Are there any particular birds you are after? There are plenty of good choices in the Valley.

Jeff

Raul Quinones
11-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Hey Raul! I'm the guy that was in the blind at Atascosa. Are there any particular birds you are after? There are plenty of good choices in the Valley.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I do remember you. I love raptors, but will be happy for a place with a large variety of species. I may only get one day, with luck two. So far I am debating between the Laguna Atascosa or Bentsen Park.

Any info much appreciated,
Raul

BTW: Thanks Dave for the info.

Jeff Parker
11-02-2009, 08:55 PM
I'd vote for Bentsen. Not much for raptors, but a good variety of species. With luck you can see Belted, Ringed and Green Kingfishers at Bentsen. Good chance at Altimira Orioles as well.

Jeff