PDA

View Full Version : Catrinas - Day of the Death in México

Mirenchu Fernandez
10-31-2009, 08:35 PM
José Guadalupe Posada created a famous print of a figure that he called La Calavera de la Catrina ("calavera of the female dandy"), as a parody of a Mexican upper class female. Posada's striking image of a costumed female with a skeleton face has become associated with the Day of the Dead, and Catrina figures often are a prominent part of modern Day of the Dead observances. Day of the Dead is November the 2nd.

Gus Cobos
10-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Excellent rendition and interpretation of the Mexican Halloween...love the colorful attire and the perspective...nice capture Lady Mirenchu...:):cool:

Mirenchu Fernandez
10-31-2009, 08:57 PM
Thank you, Day of the Death in Mexico is a celebration that is traced back to the Aztecs, this tradition is around 2500 to 3000 years.
Traditions include building private altars honoring the deceased, using sugar skulls, marigolds, and visiting graves with these as gifts.
When I used to live in Mexico, every November I had my altar at home and outside the house a path made with marigold petals for the souls of our death to find the way back home to enjoy the offerings.
Those offerings consisted of all the things the departed liked, from tequila to all kind of dishes, fruits, flowers, cigars, tamales, etc. Also amongst ourselves we exchanged sugar skulls with our names in the forehead and also made funny epitaphs to give away with the skulls.
I was very lucky in lived in a place where I had the chance to became friends with people from the Tlahuica tribe of Morelos that hardly spoke any Spanish at the time that I was living in Mexico and they shared with me a lot of their traditions and customs.

Harshad Barve
10-31-2009, 10:11 PM
nice image and awesome info
TFS

denise ippolito
11-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Mirenchu, Very nicely captured! I love the inc. story.

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Muy coloridas estas señoras!
Gracias Mirenchu por la informacion extra. Muy buena luz y composición.

Alfred Forns
11-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the info Mirenchu !!! Interesting costume !!!