PDA

View Full Version : American Oystercatcher

Axel Hildebrandt
10-31-2009, 02:45 PM
This is one from last summer on Long Island. I didn't convert it to sRGB to keep details in the reds of the bill. This bird came so close that I had to remove the TC.

http://www.pbase.com/axelhi/image/118648624/original.jpg

1D3, 500f4, 1/1250s, f/8, EC +0.33, ISO 400

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Gorgeous light Axel!
The blown feathers on back makes me feel the ocean breeze. May be I could sound picky, but the eye, which is where one usually see first, has something besides the iris. Not a big problem but wonder how it could improve the image without it been there, just my 2 cents.

Axel Hildebrandt
10-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Gorgeous light Axel!
The blown feathers on back makes me feel the ocean breeze. May be I could sound picky, but the eye, which is where one usually see first, has something besides the iris. Not a big problem but wonder how it could improve the image without it been there, just my 2 cents.

Thanks, I could have removed the black spot next to the iris but some birds (mainly female if memory serves right) have these spots and this is why I didn't do a 'cosmetic surgery'. :)

Randy Stout
10-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Axel:

Nicely exposed, angle, foot up, ruffled feathers, all good. The beak isn't overexposed, but seems a smidge oversaturated to me, but I have not seen a lot of oystercatchers in person.

Juan Carlos: The flakes or flecks are common in the iris of the oystercatchers. There was a long thread in Avian ID about this.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45547&highlight=iris

Cheers

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
10-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Axel:

Nicely exposed, angle, foot up, ruffled feathers, all good. The beak isn't overexposed, but seems a smidge oversaturated to me, but I have not seen a lot of oystercatchers in person.

Juan Carlos: The flakes or flecks are common in the iris of the oystercatchers. There was a long thread in Avian ID about this.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks, Randy! I remember this thread, it was very informative.

I already desaturated the bill about 20 points, it's partially due to warm evening light.

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Axel:

Cheers

Randy
Thank you Randy for the extra information. I am not familiar with this species. I red the other thread and found it very interesting. Those flakes or flecks on Axel's bird makes sense.

Gal Shon
10-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Stunning!
I wouldn't change a thing.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
10-31-2009, 06:32 PM
H Axel,
Love it - oh to be at the beach!!
Best,
Nicki

Ed Schneider
10-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Superb, Axel! If I had to do something different, I might add a little @ the bottom/subtract from the top, just to give a little more sense of "room to feed". I haven't had a chance @ these birds yet, can't wait!

Harshad Barve
10-31-2009, 09:18 PM
stunning image
TFS

John Blumenkamp
10-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Fantastic Alex!

Manos Papadomanolakis
11-01-2009, 12:04 AM
fantastic pose,angle,head details!!!

christopher galeski
11-01-2009, 05:20 AM
very nice Axel,sharp,nice details,good low angle,nice BG.thanks.

Steve Berkowitz
11-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Axel - the on the sand view and raised leg really does it for me. Steve

Stu Bowie
11-01-2009, 07:00 AM
I like the angle, and I think you nailed exposure very well. Good to see both the wind blown feathers and raised leg - adds interest to the image ( not thats its dull ) Love the softer colours in the BG too.

paul leverington
11-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Wonderful shot with the foot raised, beak open, feathers up, flat sand, and interesting background Axel. I would have preferred a more heads up position but this works well enough. Sweet shot!

Paul

Raymond Barlow
11-02-2009, 09:31 AM
stunning is an understatement... the light and pose rock, but the bakground is incredible., congrats Axel.

Danny Laredo
11-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Wonderful pose light and detail Axel.
Love the wave coming in and open bill.