PDA

View Full Version : Immature Broad-Billed Hummingbird

Richard Kowalski
02-13-2008, 03:42 PM
This scruffy fellow visited my feeders last September. Kinda reminds me of a teenager who can't yet grow a mustache!

My new place is apparently in a sweet spot in Tucson. I had about 75 hummers of 6 different species visiting my feeders every day during the fall migration. Since there is almost no landscaping, I'll be putting in native Arizonan plants specifically to attract hummers. I can't wait for the Spring migration north!

Canon 20D, 1/1600th, Tv, ISO 1600
Sigma 50-500 / 500mm @ f/ 10
Don't have any additional processing details at the moment.

Bill Foxworthy
02-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Beautiful bird and background and nicely captured.

Lana Hays
02-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Richard
It sounds like you live in "hummer heaven"........get those native plants going. This one is a little scruffy.....but he looks puffed up proud. Was this really ISO 1600?

Richard Kowalski
02-13-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm sure he looks better now with his adult feathers!
Yep 1600. I was just beyond the minimum focusing distance for my lens, wanted a good DoF & fast enough shutter to freeze their bodies if not their wings!

Lana Hays
02-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Richard
I wondered if it was something like that. Great processing.........clean as a whistle.

Glenda Simmons
02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Hummer Heaven, indeed! I think you did a good job showing the beautiful colors of this Hummingbird.

In Florida, these birds, are VERY RARE. Last month, I took a day trip in hopes of getting a glimpse at the first ever banded Broad-billed in our state. I did and he was beautiful! A couple of weeks later, the second was banded in Florida. I hope this will be a continuing trend.Thanks for sharing this one.

Richard Kowalski
02-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks Glenda. I love the summertime when the BBs are regular visitors. We do have a small and growing over-wintering colony of them here in Tucson. I see them a few times a week. Most of my visitors are Anna's. The migrations should begin in the next few weeks. That'll be when I break out my 36 & 48 oz feeders!

Jeff Nadler
02-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Lovely species! My eyes tell me the focus point was below the head and as one apporaches the eye, things start to get soft a bit.