PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Gazelle and Lamb

philperry
10-31-2009, 09:20 AM
I photographed this Mountain Gazelle and her lamb in the Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve. The dunes in the centre of the reserve are stunning and make a lovely backdrop for the gazelles and oryx that live there.

Photo Details:
Canon EOS 20D
Canon EF 400mm DO f4
1/640th @ f10
ISO 400
Hand held from vehicle

Marc Mol
10-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Beautiful BG & color Phil, could use a round of USM on the Gazelles.
This could easily be in Namibia, well done!

David Fletcher
10-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Wow! Phil, this is wonderful. Awesome backdrop. Cropping off the bottom will make even stronger. Thanks for sharing this one.

David Fletcher
10-31-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi Phil. Hope you don't mind, but was enthralled with the quality and action I thought to show you what I saw in your image. Cropped as mentioned. Noise Red on bg, to enhance that feeling of dunes/sand, (removed dust spots too): and a round of Smart Sharpen on the Gazelles after inverting. added copyright as felt only polite to do so, :):). Left contrast as feels when copying an image, file will have increase in contrast anyway. (exact setting on Smart Sharpen was via new layer>luminosity in blend mode and 60% 0.6, then again and reduced opacity to 90%).

philperry
10-31-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestion David. You are right, this revised crop does focus more attention on the dune background, which has the more dramatic lighting.

philperry
10-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Nice improvement David. Not sure which version I prefer now.

I hope to try out some new sharpening techniques soon and this photo might be a good candidate.

David Fletcher
10-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Nice improvement David. Not sure which version I prefer now.

I hope to try out some new sharpening techniques soon and this photo might be a good candidate.
:D. Sorry for that mate. Such a good shot, have to say "who cares", it rocks, and would dream of seeing this. Very few images create a strong feeling, and is always something we strive for. Either way, this does and is a shot I could easily find in National Geographic. Pleasure to see. (The extra sharpening also has the effect of enhancing the catchlight in the youngsters eye, magnifying the effect of the lighting conditions).

Kiran Khanzode
10-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Beauuuuutiful picture, Dave's re-post is what I had in mind. I love the lighting and the sand texture and the depth created in the scene due to the rising dune in the BG. I just wish both of them were facing towards you a bit more.

philperry
10-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the encouraging comments guys. Much appreciated.

Stu Bowie
10-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi Phil, I like the light quality, and the two gazelle really pop from the sandy BG. Both are well exposed, and Dave's and your repost work well. Well captured.

DanWalters
10-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Really like the light and the warm colors. Really like the repost. Really brings out the details in the sand.

Harshad Barve
10-31-2009, 09:44 PM
lovely image with amazing sand dunes , agreed with Davidbhai here , very easily can be seen in NGM
TFS

Simon Bennett
11-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Wonderful capture and setting - I especially like the harmonious colours of gazelles and sand dune.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-03-2009, 04:23 AM
This is terrific. I love the lines created by the dunes. Cropping from the bottom and sharpening a bit makes this more powerful.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

philperry
11-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys. I am about to download some new sharpening software and this picture will be one of my first test photos. My aim is to use all your suggestions to transform my original into a 'competition-quality' photo. It will be an interesting exercise and a useful learning opportunity.