PDA

View Full Version : Royal Spoonbill in flight

Christopher C.M. Cooke
10-31-2009, 02:13 AM
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Chris/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-11.png+

Captured at the Edithvale Wetlands Melbourne on EOS 1D MKIII with 400mm f/5.6L + 1.4 X Con. (560mm), 1/2500 sec., f/8, ISO-640, Pattern Metering, AV, 0 step

Tony Whitehead
10-31-2009, 02:58 AM
Interesting bird and I like the shadow on the far wing showing the spoon. Coarse noise and softness suggests a fair crop. You could lighten the image a little without blowing the whites and adding a little more exposure at capture may have given a cleaner image. From your comments following your last post I am assuming you are aware of the noise and softness and choosing to leave them as the hardware and software rendered them at default settings.

Christopher C.M. Cooke
10-31-2009, 04:40 AM
Tony despite my claims to the contrary I do actually listen to the advice given here and I even reinstalled Noise Ninja today (now I have to learn how to use it again:))

I agree with you about the whites but like some others from OZ that I know who no longer post here, I have found often in the past that even when CS3 tells us that the whites are not blown we seem to be accused of blowing them which is why I actually darkened this image.

Another problem I have is in the resizing of the image to fit here (especially the 5D MKII images which I no longer post here) it seems to soften the image and introduce noise that is not apparent in the cropped but not resized image. Any help with that would be much appreciated.

I have supplied many stunning images mostly Tiffs to schools, clubs and Universities but I seem to have hit the wall with my resized images.

Thanks for your comments mate.

Dave Blinder
10-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Chris - Great timing, comp, and wingspan. I run noise reduction separately on the background.

Tony Whitehead
10-31-2009, 01:37 PM
Tony despite my claims to the contrary I do actually listen to the advice given here and I even reinstalled Noise Ninja today (now I have to learn how to use it again:))

I agree with you about the whites but like some others from OZ that I know who no longer post here, I have found often in the past that even when CS3 tells us that the whites are not blown we seem to be accused of blowing them which is why I actually darkened this image.

Another problem I have is in the resizing of the image to fit here (especially the 5D MKII images which I no longer post here) it seems to soften the image and introduce noise that is not apparent in the cropped but not resized image. Any help with that would be much appreciated.

I have supplied many stunning images mostly Tiffs to schools, clubs and Universities but I seem to have hit the wall with my resized images.

Thanks for your comments mate.
Hi Chris,
Sorry to hear of your frustrations in preparing for web. Have you looked at these threads from Educational Resources?
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13989
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=839
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=452
I normally edit the image as a PSD or TIFF, resize via Image/Image size by just putting in the widest or tallest dimension I want in px, convert to 8 bit, convert to sRGB, sharpen with Photokit output sharpener and save as jpg.
Posting your exact resizing/sharpening workflow may help identify any obvious issues.
PM me if there is anything more I can do to help. If you want to email me a RAW file I am happy to see if I can find a solution.

Christopher C.M. Cooke
10-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks folk I will work on the resizing technique as I attempt to relearn NN.

Paul Randall
11-01-2009, 05:51 AM
Hi Chris, Sorry I agree that clarity and detail are lacking in this image. Could be that you are using that lens with a 1.4 converter (with taped pins I'm guessing) for a flight shot. I would recommend only using it on static or slow moving subjects. I have the same lens and converter and found that it does not do well with faster moving subjects. Cheers, Paul Randall

P.S. What part of Melbourne are you in?

Christopher C.M. Cooke
11-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Hi Paul,

I am using a 400 f/5.6 L on a 1D MKIII so no need to tape the pins as this camera will autofocus very accurately and fast at f/8 and has produced hundreds of superb Tiff images of BIF's.

I am sure that my problems are associated with "resizing" and "NR" and converting to Jpegs and PP in General.

Having said that the camera and lens are going into Canon (a recall of MKIIIs) and I will revert to my 5D MKII which though slow, is a remarkable BIF camera if you have the patience.

I live in Ashwood and spend an inordinate amount of my time at Edithvale Wetlands http://www.urbanbirder.com.au/south-eastern-melbourne/edithvale-wetlands

I also spend time in the National Parks on the Gippsland Lakes.

PM me if you want to get in touch.
(http://www.urbanbirder.com.au/south-eastern-melbourne/edithvale-wetlands)

Robert Empleton
11-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi Paul,

Having said that the camera and lens are going into Canon (a recall of MKIIIs) and I will revert to my 5D MKII which though slow, is a remarkable BIF camera if you have the patience.

I live in Ashwood and spend an inordinate amount of my time at Edithvale Wetlands http://www.urbanbirder.com.au/south-eastern-melbourne/edithvale-wetlands

G'day Chris,

Thanks for that link you posted. I will pay a visit to the wetlands when i have my big lens. I'm trying to save up for the 500/f4 now the prices have come down a fair bit.

What is Canon going to do to your MkIII?.

Regards,

Rob

Christopher C.M. Cooke
11-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Rob, I can't transport my 500 f/4 on my motorbike so my 400 does the trick for me.

Friends who use 500 f/4s get far fewer keepers than I do and generally tire much more quickly because of the weight of the lens and a good Monopod is a must.

Try to get down to the Hide on weekends between noon and 5pm and I will introduce you around and you may like to come on our next trip to the Werribbee Treatment Plant with my friend Nicole Brooker (she has a key) and that will blow your mind.

Cheers Chris.