PDA

View Full Version : Dingle Coast, Ireland

Hazel Grant
10-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Couldn't help but be fascinated with the beauty of the Dingle Peninsula.

1/500 aperture priority, f 4.5, iso 100, no flash , hand held.

Some PS work with color adjustment. I don't like the clouds in the upper right hand corner, but when I try to crop them out, the photo gets out of proportion for standard printing sizes. Any suggestions?

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
10-30-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't agree with you about the clouds on the RH corner. I say leave it as it is. My only suggestion is the image looks Crooked and I think needs rotation a bit CW. Anyway I think it is a gorgeous landscape and one I wish I had been able to take.

Dave Mills
10-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Hi Hazel, Nice mood created along with a lush countryside sweeping you out to the sea and distant mountains.
I also agree about a CW rotation due to the distant mountains going uphill. I'm a bit torn about the post on the left. In a perfect world I would have preferred a bit of room leading up to the post rather than it's current dominance. Not knowing what was there makes it difficult to be definitive on that.

Roman Kurywczak
10-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi Hazel,
I would leave the clouds on the UR also. I also agree with the rotation and like Dave I am torn by the post......perhaps if there was a bit more. As presented, I may lighten the FG a bit....just to give some definition but not change the mood. Watch the highlight on the cloud on the left also.....see if bringing back the highlight slider in S/H can recover it.

Robert Amoruso
11-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Hazel,

I reposted with the following corrections but first the post.

For the post to work, a bit different framing was needed (hard to tell what that would have been though) and more DOF. Looking at what you have here, walking in front of the post and using the two stone walls inthe FG as leading lines into the valley might have been better.

In the repost:

1) Local Contrast Enhancement using USM on BG copy at 30/50/0. This cuts through some of the haze (you don't want to lose it all) and better defines the clouds.

2) Shadows/Highlights in PS4 set here: Shadows 54/25/30 open up FG and Highilights 25/25/30 to accentuate clouds better. Midtone contrast at +15.

3) Reverse S-Curve as the above made it too contrastly.

4) USM on BG at 150/0.3/0

Given the low-res JPG, IQ is not good here with banding in the sky and color shifts. Starting from scratch on the TIFF will be better results.

Steps 1, 2 and 3 above covered here in my tutorial http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434.