PDA

View Full Version : Fall in Utah

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
10-30-2009, 06:54 PM
I took this image about 3 years ago in Southwestern Utah and the weather was very iffy. The image lacked a decent sky so I added the sky w/clouds, and thought it improved it greatly. I would appreciate your thoughts on it and whether I did a decent job adding the sky. I must say I find it very hard work to get it in so it looks natural. Any tips on how to do this without spending hours would be most appreciated. Thanks for any help, by the way the image my not have been worth the effort, let me know your opinion on that too. If it would help any I will do a repost on the original. Lrt me know if that would be helpful.
Nikon D2X
24-120mm @ 120mm
180mm (in 35mm film)
1/60 sec, f/9
Mode: Manual
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: +2/3
ISO: 100
AF mode: AF-C
White balance: AUTO
Flash: Off
File size: 10.2MB
Image size: 4320 x 2868
Color mode: MODE1
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: AUTO
Contrast: Normal

Dave Mills
10-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi Wheeler, Actually, I think you did a good job adding the sky.I didn't notice it until I read you slotted it in. I think you did a good job with the comp based on the numerous layers within the image. I might tone down the band of bright water over the reflections. It also looks to me as if there might be a color caste through the image. See what others have to say...

Hazel Grant
10-31-2009, 09:26 AM
I see what you're trying to do and applaud your merge. I think, though, that the uncertainty you have about the work has to do with a disparity between the soft trees and the sharp blue sky. IMHO the bright sky fights against the trees. I toned down the sky somewhat to try to meet the tonality of the trees, etc. See what you think. You might want to think about just a slight blur technique on the clouds to soften them to match the softness of the trees.

Roman Kurywczak
10-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Hey Mac,
I think you did pretty well choosing the sky.....it is a touch bright as presented here so just tone it down some. I also agree with Dave on the brightest water line. You may also try to do the same for the distant mountain range.....to bring it tonally into the same range as the FG. I feel Hazel has a valid point on the trees....although hard to tell from her re-post.
I think if you just equal out the tones.....you may actually pull it off!

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
10-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi Everyone - Here is the original image so you can see what I started with. I will do another repost incorporating you recomendations.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
10-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Hear is the one incorperating the changes you all suggested. Let me know whether I missed any and thanks so much for your help.
Mac

Hazel Grant
10-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah, the colors on my repost didn't come out as well as they looked on my monitor...such things happen. I think your repost is moving in the right direction....like the crop rather than the original re water. Clouds look a bit stormy here, but that may be what you're going for. Looking forward to more postings from you!

Dave Mills
10-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi Wheeler, Imaged looked a bit dark so I brought that up. Used levels,S/H and auto color.(which works about 25% of the time)

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
10-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks Dave. I think yours looks better and yes I was looking for a little stormy look. Thanks again for the help.
Mac

Roman Kurywczak
10-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Hey Mac,
Nice job on your repost and Dave took it up yet another notch.

Robert Amoruso
11-01-2009, 01:27 PM
I agree that the final repost is the way to go.