PDA

View Full Version : Burr Oak Leaves

Julie Kenward
10-30-2009, 05:39 PM
It's finally happened - there are more leaves on the ground than there are on the trees. I was out photographing ducks this morning and looked down and saw this burr oak acorn amidst of pile of its leaves and snapped up a few. I added a slight illustrated action to crisp up the lines and edges and a black vignette around the frame for mood.

Canon 40D, EF 70-200mm f/4L
f14 @ 1/60th, ISO 400
Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld, natural overcast light
Processed in ACR & CS4; small crop.

Ed Vatza
10-30-2009, 07:00 PM
I said several times over the past few days that I am not a big fan of brown leaves BUT this is the exception to the rule. This is a wonderful composition, Jules. Every elements seems to work together. Very well done!

kevinmat
10-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Nice composition Julie, I was wondering what it would look like without the vignette. To me it is a little distracting, (as always these things are down to personal taste). Good autumnal image though.

Julie Kenward
10-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Kevin, here is the original. I felt that the bottom of the frame was very light compared to the top half and wanted a bit of an anchor, hence the vignette. I don't add a vignette very often but I did like it in this instance.

As you said, it's personal taste...but I wanted you to know there was a reason I chose to add it here.

Dave Phillips
10-30-2009, 07:20 PM
nice colors here....the focal point needs to be the bright larger leaf or the
stunning acorn. IMO, the vignette had made the leaf too prominent and
places it in competition with the acorn. Good logic with "some" vignette,
but IMHO the big leaf is way too bright.

Could you maybe vignette with some saturation(sponge brush)?

Desmond Chan
10-30-2009, 09:10 PM
I like the processed one better as it has better contrast and thus looks sharper. The color also makes this image stands out from the rest. I don't mind the vignetting but think a more subtle application of it could give a better result. Although I do wish the acorn could be higher or lower than it is now, overall, it's a good image !

Charles Wesley
10-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Jules,

This is a most solid image as originally posted. Like the contrast, colors and sharpness.
Thanks for sharing...

Anita Bower
10-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Gorgeous! Love the dark tones, the crisp lines, the composition, the almost monotone colors. I like the original image. The vignette might be a bit heavy.

Roman Kurywczak
10-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Hey Jules,
Ditto Anita!.....but I do like the vignette.....just a little smaller.

Christopher Miller
11-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Very nice details, colors, and comp. I'm with everyone else on a more subtle vignette.

Steve Maxson
11-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi Jules. I don't have anything new to add, but I like this image a lot. IMO, it is one of your best!