PDA

View Full Version : Swamp Sparrow on frosty perch

Bryan Hix
10-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Found a new spot close to home and there were many new arrivals the other day. This is the best one with a clean perch and BG. I like the frosty perch on this one. I can't recall every seeing one of these, but then again I never really paid close attention to sparrows that weren't obvious like white-crowned for example.

Canon 1D Mk3
Canon 500mm + 1.4xTC
ISO 1000, 1/640th @ f/8
AV mode
Gitzo tripod
PSE7, crop, cloned out a branch, selective USM

Julie Kenward
10-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Beautiful image, Bryan. I've got a lot of sparrows that flock to my feeders but I don't think I've ever seen any of this particular kind.

I really like the pose you have here - we get to see virtually every part of the bird yet you still got a catchlight in his eyes and a great HA. Beautiful BG - and a good clone job - I'd never know where you took something out. Nicely done.

Jim Buescher
10-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Well done Bryan. Nice earth-tone BG compliments the bird's plumage while the frost on the perch helps to separate it from the BG. Sharpness, exposure, HA and comp all very good. It can be hard to get these guys in the open.

Arthur Morris
10-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Love the pose, the framing, the BKGR, the perch, and the look-back head angle. And that raised tail. Very nicely done.

Bryan Hix
10-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Love the pose, the framing, the BKGR, the perch, and the look-back head angle. And that raised tail. Very nicely done.

Thanks Artie, I might actually be learning something from your books! :)

Arthur Morris
10-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Thank you sir. Keep up the good work.

Geraldo Hofmann
10-31-2009, 04:54 AM
Lovely picture, I was working with both subspecies of the Swampers for a friend at the Smithsonian ... they gave me quite a bit of headache ;-) . The frost and on the perch is the icing on the cake, great job.
Geraldo

Ed Schneider
10-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Very nice, tough to get a clean BKGR on this species! They're just arriving here in TN., but fortunately we don't have any frosty perches (yet) :)

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Very nice sparrow and BG. Love the smooth BG. If any thing I would try to keep the 3:2 ratio.

Cheers.