Manos Papadomanolakis
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Was created in Moronis sea.....first morning light
Canon 30D Canon EF 100-400mm at 400mm
1/800 f 5.6 iso 640
thanks for looking!

Colin Driscoll
10-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Nice shot but looks too dark on my screen, maybe a touch of S&H would help? I love the columns of water running down from the feet. Also if you had the space in the original the bird could be moved to the right with more space in front of where it is moving to.

Geraldo Hofmann
10-30-2009, 03:51 PM
I agree more space to the left and a little bit brighter bird would improve the image.
Geraldo

Randy Stout
10-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Manos:

Great timing. The trailing water is great, as is the leaning pose. I agree with Colin and Geraldo about more space to the left, and I would remove some from the right.

The exposure to me is the challenge. I think the bird exposure is in that in between area. It either needs to be brighter, or go to a silhouette. I tried to brighten just the bird, the jpeg wouldn't support that without massive noise. Going towards the silhouette didn't look quite right either.

This may be one of those that is close, but a near miss.

Hopefully someone will have a satisfactory cure!

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Julie Kenward
10-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Love the trailing water and the color of the BG. I do wish the bird were lighter/brighter or, as Randy suggested, drop it down to a silhouette. I'd love to see someone bring this up and save it - it's really beautiful.

John Blumenkamp
10-31-2009, 12:46 AM
This is really interesting and those water trails are great... I agree about possibly more room to the left, and think dropping it to a silhouette as Julie mentioned might make the water trails and image overall more dramatic.

Stu Bowie
10-31-2009, 03:07 AM
Hi Manos, here is a quick silhouette version, and moving the egret to the right. Added canvas left and top.

Darkened the egret in levels
Added canvas left and top.
recropped and took a bit off the bottom and RHS.

What do you think?

David Fletcher
10-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Interesting shot Manos. Agree about suggestions made, and like the repost from Stu. (The crop in particular and the extra space provides balance. Feel the use of silhouette emphasizes the water more, but personally prefer the detail of the Egret in the OP).

Randy Stout
10-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Stuart:

Nice work on the repost. There is a step off in the image on the extreme left, about 1/8" in from the edge on my monitor.

I did try a silhouette version, but for some reason, I don't find them as effective if the outline of the bird isn't crisp and sharp, so elected not to go that way. This is purely a personal thing.

Cheers

Randy

Manos Papadomanolakis
10-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks Stuart....I Iike your repost....looks much better!