PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane

Brian Sartor
10-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Created this image a few days ago (Tues) at Crex Meadows in Wisconsin. There currently are about 8,000 sandhills roosting in the area - getting ready for their trek down to Bosque. :)

This was one of my first days trying out the new Canon 7d. I haven't really been able to spend much time with it yet, but so far am pleased (coming from a 40d). Not as pleased about having to spend time learning to adjust my modest workflow to incorporate DPP for converting the raw files. This is my first attempt using it.

Canon EOS 7D ,Canon EF 500mm f/4L + 1.4X
1/2000s f/7.1 at 700.0mm iso400

Appreciate all comments and suggestions.

Steve Maxson
10-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Love the pose and the soft light, Brian. (Just as a point of information - the cranes staging at Crex Meadows are part of the Eastern Population and will migrate southeast to Tennessee, Florida, and/or Georgia rather than west to Bosque. :) )

Tony Whitehead
10-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Very nice light, pose and sharpness. I might move the crane a little to the right in the frame.

Stu Bowie
10-30-2009, 12:40 PM
I like the light and detail, and agree moving him back in the frame.

Brian Sartor
10-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for commenting folks!

I agree he could move a bit to the right -- I am also thinking I may need another round of sharpening and/or a bit of a contrast boost -- Thoughts?

Steve,
After I posted I realized I was only making an assumption about their migration -- one ought not do that without stating that it's an assumption. I appreciate you gently correcting my mis-info.

denise ippolito
10-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Very nice light,pose and details and agree w/ moving him back in frame. I think it could use a bit more sharpening -but not much. Really nice pale blue sky.

Manos Papadomanolakis
10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
beautiful pose,wing position,light!