PDA

View Full Version : Two Stripe Forceptail

Don Lacy
10-30-2009, 09:21 AM
I am reworking some older images for a website I am putting together and I thought this Two Stripe Forceptail was something most people have not seen so I thought I would share it.

30D, 300 f/4 IS +1.4TC, 1/400 at f/11, Manual, Spot Metered, ISO 400, Raw, Tripod, Clone at some grass in the LRC.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Nice exposure and sharpness on the face and tail Don. I am wondering about more of a crop from the bottom and left for comp. Like the water(?) as the BG.

Steve Maxson
10-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi Don. You're right - this is a species we don't see up this way. Nice job of getting the full length of the body in focus and I like the multi-colored eye. It's interesting how the dragonfly seems to be "hugging" the stem rather than perching on top of it. Was it a cool morning? Nice clean comp. You might experiment with Jackie's cropping suggestions as an alternate presentation.

Julie Kenward
10-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Don, I love the way the dark blue of the BG compliments the blue eye of the dragonfly - you really couldn't have asked for anything better! Great, sharp crispness and no apparent noise (which is really surprising for as deep blue as that BG is.) Compwise, I'd take a little off the bottom and right and add to the left - the direction that the DF is looking needs a little more room to me.

Super image - you were right to pull this one and showcase it.

Ed Vatza
10-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Terrific image to my eye, Don. Perfect detail in the d-fly and love the color of the background and blade of grass. I too noticed that the d-fly seems to be hanging on for dear life.

Don Lacy
10-30-2009, 11:44 PM
no apparent noise (which is really surprising for as deep blue as that BG is.)
Actually there was a lot of noise the images was underexposed by all most a full stop and the 30D at ISO 400 is a tad noisy by today standards. After correcting the exposure in ACR I also applied some luminance noise reduction in converting the raw file, then in PS I used the noise filter a rather blunt instrument but good for BG when you used layer masks.

Anita Bower
10-31-2009, 05:29 PM
I like the bent stem with the insect on the highest point. Lovely colors. Like that the eyes seem to reflect the gorgeous color of the BG.

Roman Kurywczak
10-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey Don,
Not my favorite wing position....but still very well handled and composed!