PDA

View Full Version : Barn on Hilton Head Island, SC

Andreas Freund
10-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Hi, I would like to show you this photo, which I took on Hilton Island. It is a barn from the Honey Horn Plantation. Actually it is a HDR picture with 6 single shots. Processed in Photomatix Pro, Photoshop CS4 and Nik software.

I am looking forward to get your opinion about it. :)

Technical data:
Sony Alpha 100
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6
1/25s; f/9; 15mm; ISO 200
Tripod

Dave Mills
10-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Andreas, I like your conversion and you did a good job with the HDR. I think the image has a nice feel even though most of it is very busy. I do find my eye getting lost in the trees then looking down at your center of interest when I should be targeting that first. If you crop most of the trees out and go down to just above the main branch on the left hand tree it will give you another perspective on the image.

Nick Palmieri
10-30-2009, 10:30 AM
I agree with Dave. I think you could actually crop the right side as well... next to the tree on the right as that is not adding a lot to the image. The overall image does have a nice feel to it but I think some cropping would really strengthen it.

Roman Kurywczak
10-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi Andreas,
I'm not know to stay away from the crop tool too often.....and I do feel the crop would work.....but I will offer a different suggestion.....I feel if you brighten up the barn a bit.....that will bring it more into focus.....not too much as you will then lose the mood.....then some careful dodging and burning or some more careful levels layers....to give more depth to the canopy may help this a lot! Much of the image now is mid-toned.....doing some dodging to bring up some of the moss will only help overall......so I would try playing around with that first. If I get the opportunity tomorrow, I will give it a try.
PS I like the overall comp and the tweaks will really make this shine.

Harold Davis
10-30-2009, 05:32 PM
never thought about the crop, but it works! love the live oaks in SC and the HDR worked well here.

Andreas Freund
10-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I created both versions suggested by Dave and Roman. I personally think cropping the picture works the best (and it is really a huge approvement) . Dodging and burning the photo was hard because I didn't want to loose the mood of the picture. So I did it with caution but still the eye is first catching the tree on the left hand side. When I took the picture I was so fascinated about these oak trees with the spanish moos. Especially for me as a German because in my country these trees don't grow ;)

Dave Mills
10-31-2009, 08:01 AM
Hi Andreas, I think the crop is an improvement. I would still go for the addition of the tree trunk on the right.

Roman Kurywczak
10-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Ok Andreas,
First thing I did was a reverse S-curve (Robert has a tutorial at the top of the landscape forum).....then a few levels and contrast layers.....and extensive dodging and burning. Too much?.....maybe.....but this does show how far you can change an image with mostly the dodge and burn tool! Let me know what you think of it as now.....with all the different tones and textures......I don't feel it needs a crop.
Oh yeah.....I had to save it at 35 quality to make it fit

Andreas Freund
10-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Wow Roman, you did a great job! :) I am really impressed. This works too! The eye is focusing to the barn now (my wife confirmed it ;) ). My problem is, that I am still a 'newbie' in Photoshop CS4 (in the past I worked with PS Elements and I recently switched to PS CS4). You mentioned a tutorial. I will see if I can find it and I will try to process the original picture like you did.

Thank you very much for your efforts. This website is really the best opportunity to learn how to improve photos and getting new inputs on composing a picture :)