PDA

View Full Version : On The Fence

Julie Kenward
10-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Yesterday afternoon I only had a few moments to shoot anything so I walked the fence in my yard and photographed almost every leaf that had gotten tangled there. This is one of my favorites.

Also, it's my first attempt at using Nik's Viveza so if the colors look a little wonky, it's probably just me playing with all the new controls. :D:D:D

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f5 @ 1/100th, ISO 400
Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld, natural late afternoon sun
Processed in ACR, CS4 and Viveza...slight crop.

Desmond Chan
10-30-2009, 02:41 AM
Hmmm...did you re-arrange, do something to the leave? I asked because there seems to be a lot of..."coincidences" there :D

Anyhow, like the simple composition of this photo (perhaps it's not really that simple :)). Also like the color and sharpness. I'm ok with the dof.

Based on my first impression, I would be tempted to suggest cropping the left side to get rid of that part of the fence in the lower left hand corner. But then I'm also thinking that may have a part to play in the overall image. Anyhow, I do wish the leave stalk were not touching the bottom frame.

Julie Kenward
10-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Desmond, if I had rearranged the leaf I would have said so - I'm pretty big on "full disclosure." This really IS how it fell and how it stuck which is why I find some of these images so riveting - they fall during a rain storm and stick and then as they dry the leaves curl around the fence wire.

Seriously - next time you see a fence go take a look - most leaves shouldn't be where they are or be able to stay where they are - they just are!

Ed Vatza
10-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Interesting comp, Jules. I'm not a big fan of chain link fences since they tend to look and feel so harsh but it seems to work in this comp. I don't think the color looks "wonky" at all but I'm not sure I would recognize "wonk" if I saw it.

Did you pick up just Viveza or the whole Nik suite? I want the suite but don't seem to have the $500+ just laying around right now.

Don Lacy
10-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi jules, For me I would like to see more DOF so all elements in the image are in focus and the leaf seems to be a little crowded against the right edge. I do like the soft light and complimentary colors.

Steve Maxson
10-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi Jules. This is an interesting and artsie image. The colors look fine to me. I think I would like this even more with a little more DOF on the leaf and if the leaf stem was fully included (though maybe including all of the stem would mess up the rest of the comp ?)

Julie Kenward
10-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Ed, I picked up Viveza (finally dropped the price by $100 and if you buy now you get a free upgrade to Viveza 2 in December!) and I also got the Color Efex Select filters but it's on back order. Like you, I'd love the whole suite but it ain't gonna happen on my budget!

Anita Bower
10-31-2009, 05:32 PM
You seem to be having fun with leaves this year. I like the lines in this one, and the curves of the leaf. I don't think I'd hang it on my wall, but I like it very much. Nice colors.