PDA

View Full Version : Bunchee Beach - Fort Myers Update

Michael Pancier
10-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Stopped by this afternoon for a look at low tide around 4:00 p.m.

hundreds of shorebirds....

lots of royal terns; sandwich terns, skimmers, laughing gulls, willets, short billed dowitchers, peeps galore; an occasional osprey and GBH.

I was only able to stick around until 5:30. Other than the GBH, I did not see any larger birds up to that hour. But if you're into shorebirds, you have plenty to keep you busy. The skimmers were all along the sandbars. I am not sure if they will stay there to skim later in the afternoon....but if you're in the area, give it a visit; esp. at low tide.

Fabs Forns
10-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks, Michael, Harold saw hundreds of Skimmers there last year the first time he went, in the spring. Second time, in June, zero.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
10-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi Guys!
Where is this beach? I am planning a trip in February and it sounds great!
best regards,
Nicki

Dave Hassell
10-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Hello Nicki,
Bunchee Beach is at the southern end of John Morris Road which is off of Summerlin Road, Fort Myers Beach. Summerlin Road is the road that leads to Sanibel Island.
You need to get hold of A Birder's Guide to Florida published by the American Birding Association and Birding Florida published by Falcon Press.
I think the Birder's Guide is the better of the 2 books.
There are so many great sites you are spolit for choice.
Good luck,
Dave.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
10-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Hi Dave!
Thanks so much for the info - I really appreciate it and will certainly get hold of the books!
Best regards,
Ncki