PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast In Chives

Tomislav Kljucaric
10-29-2009, 04:09 PM
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1209/breakfastinchives.jpg

Hello Everybody,

I have never sent any of my photos on the photo forums, so this is my first . Since I am new in photography, I will appreciate your sincere critique and any advice would be very usefull for me. So, just go ahead :o...

I have mentioned that I have a Fuji S5, but I just purchased it, so this is a photo taken with my Nikon D40x.

Nikon D40x, Nikkor 60 mm 2.8.
F/7,1.
Shutter speed, 1/125s.
Aperture priority
ISO:200
Hand held

Regards from Croatia

Sorry for my bad english.

Christopher Miller
10-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Big welcome, Tomislav! :)

You have excellent details and sharpness on the fly, and I like the colors and DOF. Would be nice if the yellow area in the BG extended all the way up to the top. Very well done and looking forward to your next one!

Ed Vatza
10-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Welcome Tomislav.

I agree with much of what Christopher has said. The detail is excellent. The flower adds a nice touch. And I do wish for a more uniform background. Otherwise, I would like to see you work a little more on the composition which seems a little flat and ordinary. For example I think it would be better to have turned the camera so the flower comes out of the upper right corner and the insect is entering the flower from the lower left corner. As a bonus that may have move some of the yellow out of the frame and increased the amount of the cream-colored background.

Mike Moats
10-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Hey tomislav, nice to see you posting. I think this looks great. Good sharp details hwere it needs to be, and it would have be nice if the yellow went to the top, but it's not a big problem. Well done.

Julie Kenward
10-29-2009, 08:25 PM
First things I thought when I saw this were 1) rotate the image and 2) crop a bit off the bottom of the flower.

Ed is right about the composition...the fly is almost dead center and it's really better to try and put your focal point on the "rule of third's" position. (Google that term and you'll find out what it means if you don't already know!)

Excellent detail on the fly and the flower! Love the yellow background (BG).

I noticed when I downloaded your image that you have it really small and at a high resolution. Try saving them at a larger size and a smaller resolution. (Your resolution is 456 and it could be as low as 72 on the web. Check out the educational forums or do a search on image size or send me a private message and I'll talk you through it.)

Oh, and welcome to the Macro forum!

Don Lacy
10-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi Tomislav, Really nice colors and detail, only suggestion would be to crop a little of the right .

Tomislav Kljucaric
10-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks everybody, your comments are most helpfull. I agree with most of them, especially about the composition and rule of thirds. I realised that placing the object in the center was my most frequent mistake when i started with photography (few months ago). There is a possibility that this problem will occure in some of my future posts and photos, but now I am aware of that and trying to work on the composition more.
You have been most kind and helpfull, so thanks again.

Steve Maxson
10-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Welcome, Tomislav! Nice sharpness and I like the combination of colors. IMO, the rotation that Jules applied in the repost really improves the look of the image.

Anita Bower
10-31-2009, 05:43 PM
I like the focus on the insect, allowing other parts of the image to be less sharp. Lovely colors. I think this is a great photo for someone just starting out. Your English is fine and I look forward to more of your photos.

Tomislav Kljucaric
10-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks Anita, you are most kind, and thank you all for such a nice welcome.

Roman Kurywczak
10-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi Tomislav,
Welcome to the forum! I think you have gotten some excellent advice above and I can't think of much to add.......you have excellent sharpness which I really like and the only thing more I can recommmend is to concentrate on the BG's as they are just as important as the actual subject.....just something to keep in mind when in the field.