PDA

View Full Version : Lox Lookout

Lance Warley
10-29-2009, 03:02 PM
This is a frequently overlooked location at the Loxahatchee NWR. I think the location is beautiful, but I'm concerned that there may not be enough drama here to make an interesting photo. I keep wishing for things that aren't here, like a big, snow-covered mountain in the bg and a clean fg rather than the foliage mingled with the branches.

So, honest opinions requested...be brutal...does it grab you or not?

5D Mark II + 24-105 @ 40mm, F14, 1/5 second, iso 100, 3-stop soft grad.

Morkel Erasmus
10-29-2009, 03:33 PM
I quite like the scene, Lance, with many elements that grab my eye (maybe not snow-capped mountains), small things like the bird perched on the tree, the ripples of a fish having just jumped, lovely clouds and their reflections in the pond, and rich colours. Only thing that bothers me is the apparent softness all around? The foliage seems quite smooth?

Nick Palmieri
10-30-2009, 07:13 AM
I am thinking that the image is mainly the trees and shoreline on the right side,maybe a seperate image. Not sure if the trees on the left really add a lot. I personally like things in the FG but I would guess others would prefer they are removed. Just my opinion...

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-30-2009, 07:26 AM
I find the flowers you cut out in the foreground would have added to the image, looks like the reds are over saturated.

Grace Scalzo
10-30-2009, 08:36 AM
I like the concept and there certainly is alot of interest. In my opinion, the stick in the foreground blocks my visual entry into the image and am wondering if a step or two to the left could open it up a bit. Don't care for the cut flowers and the spots to the right of the sticks.

Dave Mills
10-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Hi Lance, A tranquil scene with many elements. I feel the image on the whole is a bit oversaturated. I would have either included more of the foreground flowers or eliminated them. The sticks give you a foreground but IMO are not that compelling to my eye.
You have a nice sky,colored far shoreline along with good reflections. I might have concentrated more in that area.

Lance Warley
10-30-2009, 09:27 AM
These are great comments. Thanks, everyone.

I'm going to move to my left and try for that angle. That's certainly do-able. Unfortunately, I can't move backwards to include more of the flowers, because they're just a messy patch.

Changing my position to the left will hopefully improve things.

Roman Kurywczak
10-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Hey Lance,
Good comments and advice given above......got waders?.......I know the gators might find you interesting/appetizing:eek:....but if somewhat safe moving in front of the twigs would also be a nice option......heck.....I've seen Paul in there with flip flops:D!
Looking forward to the other angles.

Harold Davis
10-30-2009, 04:36 PM
i drove right past that scene last week looking for the same thing. i even looked for "tiny landscapes"!! i think you did really well. the reflections are nice and i agree with roman. getting in front or even removing the stick would help.

guess i'll have to post the one i did out there now!!