PDA

View Full Version : Coopers Hawk's

Jason G. Harrison
10-29-2009, 11:21 AM
I followed this pair of Coopers Hawks through several weeks this spring. I was able to observe and capture many images of them building their nest, perching, hunting, eating, mating, etc... I found this very interesting in that the male would go out and hunt. He would bring back the meal and call out to the female in the nest. She would fly out to greet him. She would not even take a bite if it was not cleaned, i.e. no feathers/fur. I saw her refuse food several times...and then fly back to the nest calling out. The male would then get busy plucking feathers/fur, etc...and then once done, would call back to her. She would then fly back to the perch or wherever and inspect it again. Once it was clean she would begin to eat. It was only at these times that I ever saw her allow the male to mate with her.

Due to the location of the nest, etc...backgrounds are busy and I am shooting through lots of branches, etc... I believe the meal this time was a small rabbit. I have lots of different images from these Hawks to be shared in the future.

Taken with a D300, 600VR, f/8, ISO 800, 1/1000th SS

http://www.jasongharrison.com/images/2672_S.jpg

Hope you enjoyed. C & C welcome...

Tony Whitehead
10-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Interesting background story, Jason. Well captured in the busy environment. Good DOF to keep both birds heads sharp. Shadows a little noisy so maybe some NR would be useful.

Jason G. Harrison
10-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Interesting background story, Jason. Well captured in the busy environment. Good DOF to keep both birds heads sharp. Shadows a little noisy so maybe some NR would be useful.

Thanks Tony...for the feedback. I got caught on this series as I had to move around alot to find some clear shots. I was about to start dropping my ISO but got sidetracked with the birds. It was a touch underexposed too and thus the noise. Here is a repost with some selective NR in the shadows only.

http://www.jasongharrison.com/images/2672_2_S.jpg

Thanks again...

Jason

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Nice story and interesting behavior. Good eye contact too.

Dave Blinder
10-30-2009, 03:17 AM
Really outstanding behavioral capture, and nice lighting and exposure to boot. If you're ethics allow, I'd consider trying to clone out all of the branches and cleaning up the sky.

arash_hazeghi
10-30-2009, 05:27 AM
Nice story and great behavioral shot. eyes are sharp and intense, wish for cleaner BG but since this is behavioral shot in habitat it is a minor issue. Congrats