PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Cub

Stu Bowie
10-29-2009, 09:39 AM
This was, and will for a long time, be one of my best sightings that I have experienced. Taken in Sabi Sabi Private game reserve, last year August. We came across a female leopard and the rangers knew she had cubs. They called them " the brave one" and "the shy one". The shy one cowered away in the longer grass, and this one casually walked up onto this tree and sat and posed for us. What a sighting. It was not bothered at all.

Are the catchlights from the flash ok, or how does one tone them down without softening the eyes.

Canon 20D
100-400 @ 275mm
1/1000
F/6.3
ISO 400

External flash used
Exp comp -0.33
Hand held from an open land rover.

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Outstanding Stuart. I would have been so excited to see a little leopard cub that I am not sure I could have gotten an image !!!! Beautiful eye contact pose and superb detail . Love it and big congratulations !!!!!!

Grace Scalzo
10-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Remarkable and memorable image, Stuart. I just love this one, everything about it is so compelling. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Robert Amoruso
10-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Good DOF really makes this POP and the catchlights are AOK in my book. Nice use of flash - very natural looking that helped to separate the cub from the BG.

Austin Thomas
10-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Yes, Very nice Stuart. Great exposure.

The catchlights give away that you have used flash so I guess if that bothers you, try toning them down a little.

tfs

Austin

Marc Mol
10-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Great capture Stuart, the catchlights are very small anyway, and not a bother at all IMO.
My only nit would be to take the sharpening down on the log a touch. And perhaps apply some Gaussian to the BG.
I've found when there are two Leopard cubs, it always seem to be the case of one shy and one a little bolder, and a lot of the time it's the male that's a bit more inquisitive.
Found this to be the case again with two we found in the Kalahari last month.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Awesome Photo Stuart!!!

David Fletcher
10-30-2009, 06:37 AM
What a beaut Stu. Adorable. Don't mind the catchlights at all, but as Austin says, they indicate use of flash which the remaining image doesn't, it being subtly done. (if it does bother you, do a copy for comparison, toned down and see what you prefer). Good suggestion on the log too. Fabulous shot and one we'd all love to have, for sure. Dave

Stu Bowie
10-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Thank you all so much for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Morkel Erasmus
10-30-2009, 02:26 PM
I would have been just as stoked with this sighting and image Stu! you captured him very nicely and he stands out well, so all in all I'm green, mate...

kevinmat
10-30-2009, 04:28 PM
I'll add my congratulations to you Stuart for a lovely image. I'm sure you'll have many requests for a print.

Harshad Barve
10-30-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm sure you'll have many requests for a print.

+ 1

What a little cutiie this is
TFS

philperry
10-31-2009, 08:50 AM
Super shot Stuart. Of course, leopards are my favourites, so I am a bit biased. But this is a real nice view of a cub - perhaps three months old I would guess.

For those not in the know, Sabi Sands Game Reserve is the best place in the world to see and photograph leopards. Over the whole ± 60,000 Ha, the leopards are habituated to safari vehicles and allow a close approach. I was a regular visitor for about 4 years. I never failed to see leopards on my three day trips. My all time record was 17 sightings of 11 different leopards in three days (six game drives). Awesome place.

Doug Brown
11-01-2009, 11:30 AM
A special encounter! You did very well capturing the moment. The flash doesn't bother me at all.

Stu Bowie
11-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Morkel, Kevin, Harshad, Phil, Doug, thanks so much for looking and for your comments.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-05-2009, 03:47 AM
Stuart,
Good one. In this case the flash doesn't bother me much. The curved branch on the left adds to the image.
Phil, Good to know that Sabi sands is a great place for leopards.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Hendri Venter
11-09-2009, 03:16 AM
What a beautifull cub. Congrats on this fantastic take mate.

Stu Bowie
11-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Sabya, Hendri, thanks a stack guys.