PDA

View Full Version : The Last Leaf

Bill Foxworthy
02-13-2008, 01:38 PM
I captured this leaf on the way down a path and didnt like the image in viewing. On the way back I caught this with manual mode using my camera flash and this is what happened.
Canon 40D, 100-400L @400mm
1/50 sec, f/11.0, ISO 400, Partial metering, 8:46am today.
I have to admit I didnt use mikes suggestion for taking multi f/stop images as I usually mess these up but I liked it anyway for a 1 shot. Not the best but I keep trying! :)

Peter M. Noyes
02-13-2008, 02:53 PM
It's hanging on to the bitter end. I like the picture. It is sharp and clear. I also like the background. The leaf might be a little on the dark side..

Bill Foxworthy
02-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Dark it does seem to be. I believe I actually used the contrast and darkened it some. My mistake. Thanks Peter for stopping by!

Mike Moats
02-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Hey Bill, this came out really well. The BG is perfect and I like the position of the stem entering in from the corner. Great contrast of light/dark subject and on my monitor the leaf looks fine for lightness. The leaf has a nice rich earthtone color. Good sharp details.

Bill Foxworthy
02-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Thank you Mike. Makes my day to hear you say that. After looking at your web site and reading all your info, I may want to try and take up Macro if you think I have a nack for it. Dont be shy and tell me the truth always. I think I may have needed to be a little lower to take full advantage for the flash here for more detail in the leaf! :)

Mike Moats
02-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Hey Bill, if you look at my images they are all shot without flash. I prefer the soft natural light. Your leaf did catch a little hot spot on the top from the flash (but not bad) were with the natural light you might have avoided this. If your shooting hand held you may need the flash for speed, but I set up every shot with a tripod so the speed isn't a problem unless I'm dealing with a slight wind blowing the subject and then I up my ISO. On windy days I search out subjects that are stationary and not effected by the wind. Not sure if you shot this hand held or tripod, but next time shoot both ways flash and no flash, remember digital is free, shoot as many settings as you can of a good subject like this, ones bound to work.

Alfred Forns
02-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Love your composition Bill !!! Do like he feel and colors The bg is just perfect Also prefer to work without flash On harsh light will use diffusers and reflectors for some added color!!!!