PDA

View Full Version : 7D- High ISO test

Kiran Khanzode
10-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Nothing sensational, but the image shows the high ISO capabilities of this cam.

Today I was forced to use 3200+ ISO on my 7D + 400 f/5.6 due to the very low light. The combo didn't disappoint.

This jackrabbit(?) was sitting in the grass, I managed to get within 20 feet, underexposed the scene by 2/3 stop (yea, I know ETTR), but I still got a whopping 1/400 SS, hand held, kneeling on the ground.

I am impressed with this camera in all regards, be it AF or be it high ISO performance or cropping ability, this camera rocks, no matter what the naysayers say.

Techs: ISO 4000, 1/400 SS, f/5.6

I am drooling at the prospects of shooting mammals....

In terms of PP: Resized, cropped, Guassian blur on the BG, sharpened the guy, added contrast and saturation, just a tad.

C & C is always welcome,

Kiran

Morkel Erasmus
10-28-2009, 11:41 PM
that is impressive IQ for ISO-4000 from a Canon body :eek:

thanks for sharing this. I am glad you are very impressed as I am also looking at upgrading early next year. IMO the rabbit could do with some more sharpening as presented...:)

Marc Mol
10-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Hmmmm........considering you used Gaussian on the BG, I'm still seeing quite a bit of noise IMO.
Yes, I do know it's ISO4000, before I get shot down in flames.
And no I'm not trying to start up another Canon V's Nikon low ISO debate.
The point is if your happy with this, that is all that counts.
Just my opinion.

Morkel Erasmus
10-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Marc - I don't think any Canon user is expecting an 18mp aps-c sensor to compete with a 12mp FX sensor on high ISO performance, but getting at least more usable images at 1600 and 3200 ISO is something to be applauded given the pixel density on this camera.
:)

just my 2c but I'm not a major camera techie...

Kiran Khanzode
10-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Morkel, thanks for the comments, you will love this upgrade in every sense, the camera will be cheaper next year. There's no 18mp camera in 1.6x crop and a 400 f/5.6 as well in any brand ;-) to compete with this setup.
The rabbit could be sharper, but I am afraid his fur texture doesn't give me much to work with at that ISO. The eye, however looks sharp enough, hopefully. Tigers, Leopards and Lions will love this camera :-)

Marc Mol
10-29-2009, 02:09 AM
Marc - I don't think any Canon user is expecting an 18mp aps-c sensor to compete with a 12mp FX sensor on high ISO performance, but getting at least more usable images at 1600 and 3200 ISO is something to be applauded given the pixel density on this camera.
:)

just my 2c but I'm not a major camera techie...

Probably right Morkel....................been spoilt by the D3 perhaps.

Morkel Erasmus
10-29-2009, 02:40 AM
you probably have ;)

I am anxiously waiting to see more high ISO samples from the 1Dmk4 to see if a 16mp aps-h sensor can come close to the FX's capabilities. early samples have looked very promising...

David Fletcher
10-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Good pose and low angle Kiran. Glad you are pleased too, as that's all that really matters.

Stu Bowie
10-29-2009, 10:09 AM
I like the comp, especially with him sitting in the OOF grass. Lovely large eyes and ears, and I agree there is evidence of some colour noise in the BG. Having said that, pretty well acceptable for ISO 4000. Well done.

Kiran Khanzode
10-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Thx, Peter, Marc and others. Am sure this can be definitely improved.