PDA

View Full Version : Boabab sunrise.

Marc Mol
10-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Boabab sunrise.
Moremi Game Reserve- Botswana. Sept '09.
The sky was getting interesting whilst we were waiting for the Wild Dogs to wake up, managing to get the sun nestling under the bow of this Baobab tree.
Wishing the smaller tree on the left wasn't there.:(
D300 70-200VR 110mm ISO200@f/4 1/350s

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/Nature/Botswana-Sept-2009/MM13428a/669628175_m9Ydz-XL.jpg

Morkel Erasmus
10-29-2009, 04:51 AM
although I agree that without the LH tree this would've been on another level, it's still a great shot and I love the tones and mood. very 'Africa' :)

Dave Mills
10-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Hi Marc, I agree as stated about the left hand tree. I would suggest about 75% of the bottom black shadow be cropped. IMO too much neg space. I would also crop the sky to just under the bright area on the right. This cropping will accentuate the strong silouette and the beautiful sun...

Rich Ikerd
10-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Great silhouette of a wonderful tree (shame about the intruding left tree though). I really like the placement of the sun. I agree with Dave about cropping some of the negative black space off to put more central focus on the baobab. Makes me miss Africa just viewing it.

Roman Kurywczak
10-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Hi Marc,
Dave covered my thoughts well.....especially on the base (sroll with the browser to see this easily).....just reducing that will help make the Baobob tree gain more prominance.......nothing you could do with the left tree......so going higher.....for more clouds instead of base may have worked also.....just something to keep in mind for in the field. Very nice job placing the sun under the limb and the colors look nice also.....if the LH tree wasn't there....this would have went to another level!.....so it's good you are recognizing it yourself.

Robert Amoruso
10-29-2009, 01:04 PM
I agree with Dave and Roman on the crop from the bottom.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-29-2009, 09:16 PM
nice capture

Marc Mol
10-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi Marc, I agree as stated about the left hand tree. I would suggest about 75% of the bottom black shadow be cropped. IMO too much neg space. I would also crop the sky to just under the bright area on the right. This cropping will accentuate the strong silouette and the beautiful sun...

Hi Marc,
Dave covered my thoughts well.....especially on the base (sroll with the browser to see this easily).....just reducing that will help make the Baobob tree gain more prominance.......nothing you could do with the left tree......so going higher.....for more clouds instead of base may have worked also.....just something to keep in mind for in the field. Very nice job placing the sun under the limb and the colors look nice also.....if the LH tree wasn't there....this would have went to another level!.....so it's good you are recognizing it yourself.

Thanks guys
I had certainly considered cropping out the bottom 1/3 but leaves me with the dreaded almost square image, which I'm not a fan of.:(
Memo to myself.......get it right in camera next time.:D
Here it is anyway:

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/Nature/Botswana-Sept-2009/MM13428a/669628175_m9Ydz-XL-3.jpg

Marc Mol
10-29-2009, 11:21 PM
double post , sorry