PDA

View Full Version : Black-necked Stilt (juv)

Marina Scarr
10-28-2009, 06:02 PM
http://amatteroflight.com/gallery2/d/1174-1/2786+Black-necked+Stilt+_juv_.jpg

This juvenile BNS was photographed last weekend. Counted 14 of them on this particular morning. The BG and FG were difficult to work with but the light was gorgeous. The birds came so close that I had to remove my 1.4 several times. These birds are just such beautiful creatures.

Canon 40D, Canon 400 DO & 1.4 TC @ 560mm
F8, 1/2000sec, ISO 400, manual mode
Gitzo tripod, Mongoose head

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated,

Marina

Caspar Davis
10-28-2009, 06:26 PM
I really like the contrast and the tentative motion in the bird. I wonder if theere is any way to make the dark parts of the bird stand out better without overdoing the photoshopping - that's a question I often have of my own pictures.

It's encouraging to see such a nice image from a 40D; I just invested in a 50D to go with my xSi.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Axel Hildebrandt
10-28-2009, 07:32 PM
I like the angle, walking pose, eye contact and BG and might crop a bit off the bottom.

Daniel Cadieux
10-28-2009, 07:33 PM
The BNS is indeed a beautiful bird...and one I have yet to see in person! I like the water and colours within. Not crazy about the FG, and I find the bird tucked a little close to the left edge. I'd be tempted to remove the lime green leaf in LLC. Great pose and exposure...the foot raised certainly adds some interest.

Brian Barcelos
10-28-2009, 07:39 PM
I too would like some off the bottom and a little more on the left. Other than that you have a great image of a beautiful bird for sure. Congrats

adrian dancy
10-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Superb pose. I love the environment in this image perhaps more on the left would improve, for me. I can live with the foreground. Does the reflected leg and vegetation indicate that the image could use a tiny bit of CWR?

Matt Vosniak
10-28-2009, 10:33 PM
I agree with the others on cropping out a little of the foreground here Marina. If you have it adding a little to the left might look a little better to IMO. I must say the bird and the pose rock. I, like Daniel have yet to even see one of these guys and have them at the top of my most wanted list. Congrats on nailing your opportunity with a great capture.

Kiran Poonacha
10-29-2009, 01:26 AM
would have loved a bit more space on the left, beautiful image loved the raised foot, details and comp, congrats..

Marina Scarr
10-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Until I read the C & C and re-examined the picture, I didn't realize the bird's tail was so long. Guess I need to get my eyes checked. The picture definitely needs more room on the left and I'll also work on the FG. Thank you all for your help.

denise ippolito
10-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Marina, Everything has been covered. I have yet to see one of these and I hope to soon. I love the pose and the green water.