PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Acorns

Christopher Miller
10-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Over the last two months, I've been collecting acorns that I then use as props for my photos. I liked the juxtaposition of these three different-colored oak leaves, and two acorns seemed perfect to complete the picture. Any C&C are welcome!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f8.0 @ 1/20, ISO 100, -0.3 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, cloudy WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped, curves adjustment, saturation boost, and some minor cloning in a few places

Julie Kenward
10-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Excellent placement of the props, Chris! This image really is well composed. I am afraid to comment on the exposure as I am not on a calibrated monitor right now but it feels like you could maybe get a twinge more contrast and still keep that warm autumn feel to the piece.

For me, I'd clone out the white blemishes - not that they are blemishes and shouldn't be there but because they are white and that pulls my eye right to them. If they were dark brown I'd be all for leaving them in. Choice is yours!

Steve Maxson
10-28-2009, 06:57 PM
A nice mix of colors, shapes, and textures, Christopher. I like your comp as well as the sharpness and DOF. Well done.

Christopher Miller
10-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks Julie and Steve. Julie, here's a repost with a touch more contrast. I also decided to clone out the white blemishes.

denise ippolito
10-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Christopher, I like the repost. It is a subtle difference. Great fall colors and a nice arrangement.

Ramesh Adkoli
10-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Very nice image, Chris. I like the lighting and its result of soft shadows. It gives a 3-D feel to the image. TFS.

Regards,
ramesh

Ed Vatza
10-29-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm focusing on the re-post and I think it looks great to my eye. Excellent composition, good dof, detail and contrast. The brownish leaves work well with the acorns but brown is not my favorite autumn color. I prefer the yellows, oranges and reds and wonder what this might look like with a more colorful autumn background. Who knows, it may not work but still I am curious.

Mike Moats
10-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Hey Chris, very nice comp, and I think you could even boost the contrast more. Removing the white spots helpped out. Good details. Well done.

Christopher Miller
10-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments! Much appreciated.

Thanks, Ed, for the suggestion of a more colorful BG. Gives me one more thing to try at some point :)

Charles Wesley
10-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Chris,

Great re-post. Got to love the color in this one. Agree with Mike about even more contrast if you like.
Thanks for sharing....

Roman Kurywczak
10-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Hey Christopher, nice arrangement and VG job on the repost....agree that more contrast will also work. I think the bold colors may look too arranged.....but will be interesting to see.