denise ippolito
10-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Canon 5D
24-105mm
ISO 100
25.0 SEC. AT F/20
Vari ND filter,polarizer
Tripod
Roman, Thanks for all your help and the filter loan.

John Ippolito
10-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Very pleasing comp and exposure. Denise. I like how the image is neatly divided into thirds. Also, I like how the misty swirls in the mid ground water lead the eye from the foreground to the base of the waterfall. Well done!

Nick Palmieri
10-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Very nice Denise, I think a lighter flow of water would have improved these images but nothing we can do about that. I like the rock placed in the LLC of the frame, it really provides an anchor point and allows the eye to travel to the falls. I also think you handled the higher flow of water nicely.

Robert Amoruso
10-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Denise,

John said just what I would have said about your image. I see Nick's point on the water flow but feel this image is successful as he states. I do like the middle part of the falls and the pattern of flow there. Did you do any close-ups of that area?

Overall tonality of the image works well here w/o any bright areas to draw the eye. Nicely done.

denise ippolito
10-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Thankyou all for your comments. Much appreciated.
Robert, Thankyou again for your help yesterday.I feel it helped me put together the tonalities in this one a bit more easily.

Roman Kurywczak
10-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Hey Denise,
Not bad....not bad at all! Considering the very heavy water flow.....you pulled out as much detail as possible.....hard to believe it was the same fall as my earlier leaf swirl post......I may tone down the FG water and swirl just a bit....this may make the swirls even more prominant......but nicely composed as stated above with the 1/3's.....very nicely done!

denise ippolito
10-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Roman, Thankyou for all your help the other day. I would not have gotten this w/o your Vari ND filter and your great advice,so thankyou again. I'll tone down the water and swirl as sugg.

Dave Mills
10-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Denise, Good comp and waterflow considering the amount of water and the length of exposure. Good suggestion regarding darkening the water since it will give the image more contrast...

Lance Warley
10-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Beautiful as stated above, Denise.

I wonder if adding black within the white Selective Color would add details to the water.

25 sec. is a serious exposure.

Morkel Erasmus
10-29-2009, 03:38 PM
I have to get round to do some falls shooting :)
lovely flow, strong composition and great detail Denise. I would like to see the results of Lance's suggestions...

Lance Warley
10-29-2009, 03:57 PM
I tried adding black...didn't bring out any details...Denise, you did the best anyone could with this tonnage of water:)!!

denise ippolito
10-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Lance, When I was shooting this I wanted to get a silky soft flow-kinda just my personal preference. I do think this was a great practice. I haven't done too many landscapes or waterfalls so I appreciate all the help I can get.Thanks for looking in and all your help.Much appreciated.
Dave and Morkel, Thankyou for your comments.

Elmar Venter
11-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Denice this is really stunning. Somehow I feel the picture needs a slight counter-clockwise rotation, not sure? Will you please explain how you stack the vari ND filter with a polarizer. Are both circular Singh-Ray filters?

denise ippolito
11-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Elmar, My polarizer filter is circular and the vari-ND I HH in front of the other. The Vari ND I borrowed from Roman and I believe it is made by Singh-Ray. I believe the roation is an optical illusion. Thankyou for your comments and I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back to you.