PDA

View Full Version : What Not

Ed Vatza
10-28-2009, 09:32 AM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0910_TonySweetWorkshopCVNP_006-Edit.jpg

... or make that "What Knot". This image is from one of the shoots at the Tony Sweet Workshop that I attended this past weekend in Cuyahoga Valley National Park (OH). We had a short late afternoon shoot at a youth hostel and while others were busy shooting some of the old ruins around, I decided to slap on my 150mm Macro lens and do a bit of macro work - the only macro work of the weekend. This is one of the images that I came up with.

Canon 30D; Sigma 150mm macro lens; tripod-mounted.

1/2 sec @ f/16; ISO 640; 0 EV

Image processed using Topaz Adjust with the Spicify preset as the starting point.

Christopher Miller
10-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Very nice texture, Ed, and interesting focal point. The light looks a little harsh to me, and I might have moved back a bit so that it isn't quite as tight.

Ed Vatza
10-28-2009, 03:09 PM
The light looks a little harsh to me, and I might have moved back a bit so that it isn't quite as tight.

It was late in the day and quite overcast so the light was not really harsh. I think you may be reacting to the Topaz Adjust "Spicify" settings.

I actually have a "less tight" version of this image but prefer the tighter one.

Julie Kenward
10-28-2009, 04:46 PM
I like the image but had the same thoughts as Chris - it feels harsh (which I know it was) but it really feels harsh - as in it almost hurts my eyes to look at it. I think you could tone down the high tones just a tiny bit and still get the high contrast look without it being quite so glaring. Another option might be to put the slightest bit of sepia photo filter adjustment over it. Maybe?

I also like this comp because it's soooo ROT's... and I love a good close crop but I would also like to see the other one - to know which one I would really prefer.

Great capture of the wood, Ed. I can see you really got great detail at f16 throughout all four corners.

Ed Vatza
10-28-2009, 05:51 PM
it feels harsh (which I know it was) but it really feels harsh - as in it almost hurts my eyes to look at it.
:cool: Ever hear of sunglasses! :cool:

OK, I'll be good... even serious. I have used the "Spicify" preset in Topaz Adjust in the past and really like the effect... in some cases. In other cases, I hate it. As I was shooting this knot hole in the side of a barn, I saw (call it pre-visualization if you like) this image, the wood grain, really kicked up with the "Spicify" preset. And I have to say that I do like the effect. But it is "in your face" so to speak. It's not for everybody. I knew that going in but I also know that the original is very dull and boring by comparison. So I have stuck with the spicified effect. It's running about 50/50 so far. Folks either like it a lot or they don't!

As far as the other (backed off a bit) image, I have processed it the same way as the OP using Adjust "Spicify" as the starting point but I did back off some of the settings (Contrast, Brightness, Details) just a tad. Don't know if it is enough to keep your eyes from hurting though.

Here is the other image.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0910_TonySweetWorkshopCVNP_005-Edit.jpg

Mike Moats
10-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Hey Ed, I don't mind the tight framing, and agree on the original being a tad harsh. The repost likes better but the details look soft, looks like it needs some extra sharpening. I think you did a nice job spotting this and setting it up.