PDA

View Full Version : Greater Kestrel chowing down

Morkel Erasmus
10-28-2009, 01:34 AM
I created this image recently in the Kalahari Desert. This Greater Kestrel was feeding on a rodent it must've killed moments before we arrived at the spot.

I wish the light wasn't that harsh - it was just starting to head down to the sweet spot for the late afternoon light. I liked the gore on the bill and the detail in the eye (which is obviously more pronounced at higher resolution). About 60% of the original image (cropped from right and left and a little from the top).

I cloned out some branches in the upper right corner that were drawing the eye...
Your input much appreciated.

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 100-400mm L IS USM @ 400mm
f5.6 @ 1/2000 SS @ ISO-400
Exp +0.3

Marc Mol
10-28-2009, 01:38 AM
Great habitat shot Morkel, blood on the beak.....is what makes this for me.
Now, if you could only remove that central thorn bush, that would really take it up a notch!

Kiran Poonacha
10-28-2009, 05:55 AM
wish you had more space at the bottom Bhai, loved the details, killer pose and the mouse creates interest, congrats..

DeanNewman
10-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Think you handled harsh light well. Great detail. Agree central thorn bush doesn't add to image but does add environmental view point. Limited room at bottom is only detractor from comp. Super pose and tech skills compensates well. Great image.

Stu Bowie
10-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey mate, good to see that he was still feeding with evidence of blood on the beak. I like the partially separated left wing, and the colours look good to me. Great sighting, Im jealous.

Morkel Erasmus
10-28-2009, 09:37 AM
thanks for viewing Marc, Stu, Kiran Bhai & Dean.

Marc - I wanted to tackle the twig last night but didn't feel up to it - I also don't want to alter too much of my images these days (trying to force myself to get it right in the field - in this case this was the closest to perfect viewing angle of this bird as we were confined to the vehicle).

Marc Mol
10-28-2009, 04:17 PM
I also don't want to alter too much of my images these days (trying to force myself to get it right in the field - in this case this was the closest to perfect viewing angle of this bird as we were confined to the vehicle).

Understand perfectly Morkel, a lot of times you just make the best that's presented to you.