PDA

View Full Version : It's that time of year again... (and a question on composition)

Geoff Malosh
10-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Just to get those of you with plane tickets and hotels already booked back in the mood -- since it is almost November, after all -- here's a shot from Bosque I made last year. I decided to post this one because I'm curious what people think about my leaving the OOF bird in the background. I did it for a few reasons: (1) I, like most everyone else who's ever photographed at Bosque, already have plenty of tightly-framed Sandhill Crane flight shots and didn't need to make another out of this image, (2) the OOF bird is leaning as they do just before they take off, and is facing the same way as the bird in flight, so it provides both juxtaposition and context, (3) both birds are placed well enough in the frame, and (4) for some reason this image just works for me. Opinions?

Unfortunately I will not be at Bosque this year....

(Canon 50D, 500mm f/4, 1/800 at f/8 manual exp., evaluative, ISO 200, tripod mounted, 7 Dec 2008)

Thanks all.

Daniel Belasco
10-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Very beautiful image.
I wish the eye was a little more defined.
You asked about the OOF bird. When I first saw the image that was my first concern without reading your comments. My first impression was I didn't care for the OOF bird. BUT I can see you trying something diffrent, so more power to you.
TFS
regards
dan

arash_hazeghi
10-28-2009, 06:06 AM
Very beautiful photo, love the colors, wing position, HA and BG. looks like an airport :D with one bird taking off and the other waiting for permission!

Daniel Cadieux
10-28-2009, 09:47 AM
I like the flying bird, and the BG habitat. I would lighten the dark areas above. As for the OOF bird: for me, I don't really care for it much - I'd have prefered it if there were a few more with it. It's your image and if you like it this way (which you clearly seem to do) then leave it as such. Only thing is I find that its' reflection abutts awkwardly to the edge of the frame...if you crop away about half of it (to where it is more "solid") you will have a stronger and cleaner finish to the lower edge.

Tony Whitehead
10-28-2009, 01:46 PM
I agree with Dan's crop suggestion. I can see why you have kept the distant bird but as it stands I find it a bit distracting. An option is to burn it in a bit which helps it recede in the image a bit without removing it.