PDA

View Full Version : Sharp-shinned and Coopers - SE Florida

Jeff Nadler
10-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Any place reliable come to mind for finding these 2 hawks for photography in southeast-central eastern Florida coast in winter, basically anywhere between Delray Beach north to Melbourne? (other than at someone's feeders)

Fabs Forns
10-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Jeff, I know there's a Coopers resident at Wako. Easier than done, though, he keep to himself most of the time. I even know where he lives, in the tree line ahead left of the bigger rookery, the part where there' no boarwal and connects the front to the back of Wako, where you find all the warblers.
Having said that, I've seen him up close when he nailed a purple gallinule chick in front of us in the back and in the distance several times. There is also a male Northern Harrier there, but only seen him far away and two people's pictures.
Good luck! Holler when you come down :)

Judd Patterson
10-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Jeff, that is a bit of a tough one. Both species are certainly here throughout the winter months, but they are not really that predictable. Like Fabs, I've seen them at Wako and Green Cay, but it is usually a fly-by as they chase something and the glimpse is fleeting. If you are lucky you'll find one perched silently on a branch near a bird feeder (there are candidate feeders in areas like Green Cay). I hope you get some better advice from another local. Good luck and enjoy your visit...maybe we'll run into each other.

Jeff Nadler
10-29-2009, 09:10 AM
thanks. My wife has decided to travel with me, to visit relatives near Miami. So will not be a photo trip this time, with the exception of an early morning visit at either Green Cay or wako.