PDA

View Full Version : Red Kite

David Fletcher
10-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Took this last week in Gigrin Farm, Rhayader. For many years they were under threat in the UK and were down to a few breeding pairs in the 1930's. Some pioneers such as Eithel Powell, introduced feeding and was a stalwart in rebuilding their numbers. Sadly he passed away a few years ago, but his son Chris, and widow, Lena continue the good work. D3 & 500 AF-S II & TC-EII 1.4. Gitzo 1548 & wimberley. 1/1600 f5.6. -0.67ev. 95% ff.

Stu Bowie
10-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Hi Dave, interesting flying posture as if he was swerving and twisting through the air. Good eye contact, and love the colours. The kite really pops from the BG so well. Great capture.

Doug Brown
10-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Beautiful bird and a nice BG. Very sharp. I might bring down the exposure slightly, and I do wish for a bit more eye contact.

Axel Hildebrandt
10-27-2009, 01:17 PM
I like the wing position, BG and sharpness. Good to hear that they recover. Is this one of the places where they are fed? I might tone down the highlights and midtones a tad.

Fabs Forns
10-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Wow, the pose really shows how long the wings are. Great EXP and BG, I like how the bird's head is on the clear of line and on the green part of the BG. Congrats on a fine image.

David Fletcher
10-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi Axel. (yes, been feeding them for about 30 years now. Gradually over the country, other sites have developed, even as far north as Sterling, Scotland. Thanks for tips and advice. Appreciated).

Manos Papadomanolakis
10-27-2009, 02:51 PM
beautiful pose,wing position,colors!

Geraldo Hofmann
10-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Great shot David, I guess I have to visit this place while I am still in Uk for the next four weeks. I agrre about the highlights they are a little bit to bright for my taste, maybe I would go for an overall darker picture.
Gerhard

arash_hazeghi
10-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Very beautiful wing position against nice BG. Nice colors too, would bring down the exposure a bit especially on the whites.

Ian Mason
10-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Lovely! I agree about trying a darker version. Everything else is superb!

Arthur Morris
10-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Love the pose and the underwing detail. Whites a bit bright and the head is turned a smidge too far.

I was there twice in 1998 and could not see my hand in front of my face because of the fog.... That's Wales.

Ramon M. Casares
10-27-2009, 08:59 PM
LOVED it as presented! Great comp, light, BG, detail, colos and simply supern pose! Big congratulatons!

Brian Barcelos
10-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Other than the whites already mentioned, I'm really enjoying this image. You can sense the speed of this guy and that BG is killer. So glad to hear that people step up to protect this beautiful species, sometimes it's so hard to think that ignorance would make people leave their homes just to go out and decimate populations of different species just for the fun of it. Congrats on a wonderful image.

Morkel Erasmus
10-28-2009, 01:38 AM
lovely shot Dave! when first I saw this it didn't hit me, but others' comments have brought me to also perceive the whites as needing a bit of a tone-down. love the wingspread and colours!

Kiran Poonacha
10-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Loved it David Bhai, all said above, congrats...

Danny Laredo
10-28-2009, 05:40 AM
This is super Daivd. Lovely flight pose you captured here.

David Fletcher
10-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Thank you all. really appreciate your comments and tips. (Did darken the highlights on the top wing, but by -7 only.... :D.. trying to keep it subtle, but appreciate your feedback as that's what's this is for. Quick tickle will fix that.). Many thanks.

Artie. Know what you mean. It isn't always easy there, and more often than not, the weather is crap and is sure a long way to hike for that. BTW, Eithel remembered you as he told me when I first went there in 2002.

Arthur Morris
10-28-2009, 01:18 PM
That's amazing. When I was there, the walk to the blinds was a short one as I remember.

David Fletcher
10-28-2009, 03:15 PM
That's amazing. When I was there, the walk to the blinds was a short one as I remember.. (Still is Artie. He was a good man, Eithel. We were hiring the B&B and were late that day and when we arrived and saw my 600 F4, he promptly got the tractor out and sent me off down the hides for a second feeding. Stayed with me for an hour. Even heard of the English guy, Mike lane who arranged to carry the dead carcas of a sheep on the hill opposite to entice Buzzards down to feed). Eithel knew of you well and was chuffed to have you there.

Thinking of the Kite shot above, have taken a further -12 off the bright and knowing the head angle was off, felt the only way to fix was borrow one, :). Frustrating, but there you go and looks ok on the full tiff.

denise ippolito
10-29-2009, 10:38 AM
David, Beautiful pose and details.The repost is very nice, you did a great job. I love the multiple layers in the BG.

Harshad Barve
10-31-2009, 05:25 AM
Davidbhai I am late here ,
Amazing shot , lovely compo , repost rocks
TFS

David Fletcher
10-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Thank you Denise & Harshad. Appreciated.