PDA

View Full Version : Early Morning Mist

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Taken in a section of Yellowstone that had been very badly burned due to the fires that raged through there several years ago. Still their was a very quiet beauty that was very intriguing.

Nikon D300
Nikon 24 to 70 mm
ISO 640
1/1000, F4

All comments are appreciated.

Robert Amoruso
10-27-2009, 11:25 AM
I agree Judy on the "quiet beauty" of this image. The fog makes it for me. I think that moving left or right here a bit might have produced a stronger image for me. I also like the subtle graduation of the brown tones towards the sky blue as the eye follows the trees up to the top of the image.

For others viewing them image, can you see what I am referring to?

I am going to PM Judy with my reason and we can post that after others have had a chance at it.

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE QUIZ, FORM YOUR RESPONSE FIRST BEFORE READING OTHER'S THOUGHTS ON WHY I AM RECOMMENDING MOVING LEFT OR RIGHT HERE.

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks Robert for your comments and I think I can guess what your thoughts are. I think it is the dark tree in the foreground that had I moved either left or right it would not have been blocked by the tree behind. Let me know if that was your thoughts !!!!!

Robert Amoruso
10-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Check your PM Judy, I will post that response later. ;)

Dave Mills
10-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Hi Judy, I too like the misty feel of this image. You captured an image that most folks would pass up and made it into something meaningful. My interpretation of Robert's suggestion is that by moving left or right the small dark tree would not be merging and form more of the beginning of an entry into the forest. You left an opening which gives one that impression of walking through. My take on it...

Fabs Forns
10-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Very good mood, I remember this place as something very special. I think Robert is referring to the two trees merging on the left hand side. The smaller darker one and the taller lighter one.

Roman Kurywczak
10-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi Judy Lynn,
Would be my guess too....avoiding the merge. I know the area well and spent a great deal of time there this year.......it's not too shabby at sunset either if no one is parked by White Dome. I think you chose the tree placement well and the little bit of seperation would have made it even stronger.

Robert Amoruso
10-28-2009, 04:31 PM
My answer to the quiz. Congrats to those that responded. You all have sharp observation skills.

------

As the trees recede into the BG, the closer ones are darker and the more distant ones lighter. This is used here to great affect to render depth in the image.

I feel that the closest tree to you (shorter tree on left side so it is the darkest in tone) would be better placed to the left or right of the slightly brighter trees immediately behind it. This would establish that tree more as the dominate FG compositional element or anchor in the image.